Docking Station for MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by applebigmac, Sep 11, 2015.

1. applebigmac macrumors newbie

I wonder why Apple is not manufacturing docking stations. searching online, I find http://hengedocks.com/ - but are there any other alternatives? I've used PC docking stations at workplace for Lenovo / Dell etc and its very convenient to plugin and start working and take it out easily when needed. As Apple is trying to break into enterprises, do you think they will come up with something soon?

2. Candurin macrumors regular

I had purchased the hengedock for my new 2015 mbp retina.

I had to return it because the thunderbolt ports (display out only on this dock) never lined up properly.

I went with the arc book (twelve south) and I just deal with plugging in the three cables (thunderbolt > DP, USB and power.

Takes me just a few seconds and the arc book keeps my desk clutter-free.

It's not ideal, but works for me. I do wish the hengedock worked, but no matter how many times I re-seated and adjusted the cables, it never lined up corectly.

Coming from a dell with an ideal docking solution (place the laptop on and then eject to take it off), Apple falls short in the area, sadly.

3. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Apple's docking solution - the Thunderbolt Display. That one matches the Henge vertical dock very well. Henge dock provides no other functionality than mechanical, that is.

4. Candurin macrumors regular

The display is not what I would consider a "dock". Yes, it's a two cable solution, but you still need to connect MagSafe and TB cable.

You could also choose any thunderbolt 2 dock such as OWC, belkin, elgato, etc. for similar functionality.

5. priitv8, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2015

priitv8 macrumors 68020

That's where Henge Docks come in :) , no?
    [​IMG]

6. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Adding a dock connector would add complexity to the logic board as well as forcing them to move components around and possibly lose the slimness of the system. That leads to the second point, having the dock connector on the bottom would take away from the design of the system.

I don't see Apple doing it.