Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Is there any option for a unibody macbook docking station?

no, docking stations died a while back due to the number of laptops out there. apple's line of computers is probably the only ones that could have docking solutions. other companies simply release too many different sized laptops. what kind of function do you need for a dock?

Matek

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
no, docking stations died a while back due to the number of laptops out there. apple's line of computers is probably the only ones that could have docking solutions. other companies simply release too many different sized laptops. what kind of function do you need for a dock?
LOL! :D Many laptop makers (HP, Dell, Lenovo, ...) offer dock support, especially in their high-end laptops. Saying dock is dead is simply... wrong. I know many people who use them every day.

Nada.

Are you just looking for a port replicator system? (and if so, why?)
Well, the MacBook honestly doesn't have a large number of ports. On a port-replicator, you usually get everything you could have on a desktop machine of the same kind, so in the case of a MacBook, I would wish for FireWire, VGA, DVI, perhaps Modem and definitely some more USB plugs.

But that aside, it's not really about port replication. The main feature is the dock itself - the simplicity of taking your laptop with you on the road/to work without having to unplug half a dozen cables every time you do it (and replug when you get back).

Look at it this way - people buy docks for iPods. There is a maximum of two cables you can plug into an iPod, but people still want to make it simpler. It definitely makes even more sense on a laptop.

To answer the author of the topic - Apple doesn't provide a dock connector, but some companies still offer third-party dock-like devices. They usually look like a big connector that plugs into all of the connectors on the side of your laptop at once. They already announced one for the unibody MacBook.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Well, the MacBook honestly doesn't have a large number of ports. On a port-replicator, you usually get everything you could have on a desktop machine of the same kind, so in the case of a MacBook, I would wish for FireWire, VGA, DVI, perhaps Modem and definitely some more USB plugs.

The thing about port replicators and docks is that they can't invent hardware that isn't there. Unless you find some kind of Firewire to USB bridge, you'll never get firewire on a unibody.

sleepingfaster

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2009
Whilst it's not strictly speaking a docking station how about one of the new monitors with the USB hub and pass through?

This is the option I've opted for.

It doesn't allow network docking but i'm using wireless on my notebook anyway.

USB from Mac to monitor. Monitor with two ipods, keyboard and mouse.

That way when you get back to base you're just jacking in your power, usb and mini display jack.

It's not an ideal solution but I'm assuming if you're after a docking station you'll want to run a monitor as well?

Harmless Abuse

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
The thing about port replicators and docks is that they can't invent hardware that isn't there. Unless you find some kind of Firewire to USB bridge, you'll never get firewire on a unibody.
They actually have USB -> Firewire adapters already I think, but you're not going to get the consistent speed of firewire I believe. At least you can use it?

The MacBook is lacking in ports, so a dock with added USB ports would be great. I can use more than 2, and not to mention I can only use 1 if I'm going to use my thumbdrive, which I can't use if I use my mouse. Bluetooth mice are somewhat laggy so I don't enjoy using them, and the idea of having more spaced out USB ports would even be amazing. The one thing I absolutely hate about my MacBook is the lack of ports.

To the OP, you can try getting a stand or making one, and going through the option of getting a USB extender and whatnot. Sort of make your own dock.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
They actually have USB -> Firewire adapters already I think, but you're not going to get the consistent speed of firewire I believe. At least you can use it?

The MacBook is lacking in ports, so a dock with added USB ports would be great. I can use more than 2, and not to mention I can only use 1 if I'm going to use my thumbdrive, which I can't use if I use my mouse. Bluetooth mice are somewhat laggy so I don't enjoy using them, and the idea of having more spaced out USB ports would even be amazing. The one thing I absolutely hate about my MacBook is the lack of ports.

To the OP, you can try getting a stand or making one, and going through the option of getting a USB extender and whatnot. Sort of make your own dock.
From what I've seen, there's only one FW400-->USB dongle on the market, and it only has a PC driver-pack available.

grubber1000

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2009
This is really weak.

I'm in the market for an OSX laptop as couple of clients apple based.

I just assumed they would have a dock. I've used a Viao for past 3 years and dock/undock at least 4/5 times a day to take into meetings/home/office.

This is really putting me off, esp as hardware is so much more than PC. I'll be looking into hackintosh option first then.

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
I have been looking for a solution to this as well. I have a MBP which I take to work with me everyday. I also use it as my main computer at home in clamshell mode with a large external monitor. The home setup requires every one of the MBP's ports to be filled up which is a real time-consuming pain to unplug & re-plug twice everyday. Is there no solution at all? Belkin make this docking station (http://www.belkin.com/highspeeddock/) but they don't offer Mac support annoyingly otherwise it would be perfect. Why hasn't anyone else made an Expresscard 34 docking station for the MBP? Is it because it is technically not feasible? You would think that there would be a market for such a device frankly... :(

Any thoughts appreciated.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
There are solutions, but they are none-native :

http://www.bookendzdocks.com/New_Products-Docking_Station_for_the_13_Unibody_MacBook.html

22161366.jpg

grubber1000

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2009
I've just found a Kensington port replicator with beta mac drivers for a (connects via a single USB) http://us.kensington.com/html/11613.html

Review here http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Kensington-Notebook-Expansion-Dock-VGA-Notebook-Dockingstation.6532.0.html

But only supports 100MB ethernet + VGA 1280x1028 Max. Which will put offer most power users.

You would think someone will bring out a solid and affordable bank of port replicators like the left box in the thing 'KnightWRX' posted above (only $200 cheaper and prettier).

JadedRaverLA

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2008

WHAT? (I don't mean this personally about you, but it is something I've noticed that is VERY common on Apple boards.) I love the Apple fanboy mentality that anything Apple doesn't make isn't worth having.... or is essentially dead technology. Docking stations, Blu-ray, HDMI, etc.

Every other major manufacturer offers docking stations for their business lines (and most even on their consumer lines). Most large businesses use them extensively. But Apple is so obsessed with thinness, that they can't even fit a normal video output on their notebooks, much less a special "docking bay" connector that requires quite a bit of space, and a secondary routing for all the major output ports.

So, no, given the current trends with Apple's machines, it doesn't look likely that docking stations will be coming back to the line-up anytime soon.

I've just found a Kensington port replicator with beta mac drivers for a (connects via a single USB) http://us.kensington.com/html/11613.html

Review here http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Kensington-Notebook-Expansion-Dock-VGA-Notebook-Dockingstation.6532.0.html

But only supports 100MB ethernet + VGA 1280x1028 Max. Which will put offer most power users.

You would think someone will bring out a solid and affordable bank of port replicators like the left box in the thing 'KnightWRX' posted above (only $200 cheaper and prettier).

Not a terrible solution (and good to see that those are coming to Macs finally), but using an external monitor -- even one at only 1280x1028 -- over a USB video adapter is a pretty awful experience. Forget the Nvidia graphics in your notebook, and resign yourself to hyper-compressed video being transferred as data over the USB bus. Not my idea of a good solution. It can work for basic web surfing, etc, but trying to watch video is a terrible experience. And gaming is not even an option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.