docking station help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iluvifone, Jan 6, 2012.

1. iluvifone macrumors 6502

I just ordered my macbook online, and am receiving it next week. Right now at home, I currently use my own PC that I built (windows 7), with a wired mouse, wired keyboard, speakers, and a 24" monitor.

When I receive my macbook, I will mainly use it outside of my house, but there may be occasional times where I may need to use it on the big screen.

Is there anything that supports my current setup, and will allow me to use my wired peripherals, and switch between my windows PC and macbook, without much hassle?

Thanks

2. ShoG macrumors member

The Macbook Pro 13 and 15 inch models have 2 usb ports (17 inch has 3), firewire 800 and a thunderbolt port. You can use your wired mouse and keyboard by using the usb ports and with the proper mini display port adapter (no more than 30USD) you can use your external display. You'll have to post more about your monitor in order to get the right adapter. I suggest you search the forums here once you know what type of connection it uses (DVI, VGA, HDMI etc) as I don't use an external monitor, but I know apple makes them for each type, they list different ones when you BTO your mac online. And theres a bunch from vendors other than Apple, such as Moshi.

Most all your answers can be found here with a bit of looking around.

3. iluvifone thread starter macrumors 6502

My monitor has a DVI port. My mouse and keyboard are USB. Isn't there an easier way around this, such as a docking station (which i don't really know much about), rather than unplugging and plugging in the cables each time I want to switch to the mac?

4. ShoG, Jan 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2012

ShoG macrumors member

You could look into some usb hubs for a cheap alternative, not sure if any have a mini display port built in along with the usb ports.

For a docking station try this although they make you buy an adapter for mdp to dvi for your monitor.
    http://www.hengedocks.com/ Edit: Pic is from hengdocks and is on the homepage, looked questionable since its got the display port on the wrong side but its from the 2008 and prior models. they do have the newer docks for macs 08-current.

http://www.bookendzdocks.com/ also makes some docking alternatives too, may want to look into them as well.

Attached Files:

• 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      24.7 KB
      Views:
  5. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

You'll need a KVM (keyboard,video,mouse) switch. This allows you to have one keyboard, mouse and display for multiple computers. Connect the switch to your computers. Connect your peripherals to the switch. You're good to go.

You'll need a switch with a Dvi connection for the display and USB ports for the keyboard and mouse.
    You'll also need a mini display connector to dvi output which I recommend you buy online rather then from apple. Apple sells it for ~30$ you can find them online for about 5-15$
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=202

6. iluvifone thread starter macrumors 6502

exactly the answer i was hoping for! thank you!!

7. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

No problem let me know how it works out.

8. robgendreau macrumors 68040

I use the IOPort KVM switch with a PC and MBP. Aside from the adapter to the video-out of your Mac, one that does USB and DVI and, I assume, mini stereo for your audio, you shouldn't need anything else. With two clicks of the control key I switch back and forth using the same keyboard, mouse and USB peripherals. Audio? You might want to think on that one; I sometimes want music to continue playing out of one computer while working on the other. YMMV.

Be aware that if you sleep and awake the MBP while connected, but using the PC, it won't know it's attached to an external monitor and you may have to plug and unplug it. No biggie; just remember to switch first.

Rob