Docking station question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Fifteen20s, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Fifteen20s, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2015

Fifteen20s macrumors regular

As talked about in the Macbook Pro thread I am considering changing from a iMac + rMBP solution to a rMBP + Docking station + 4k monitor.

Between a monitor with USB3 ports and the rMBP, I actually do not need a docking station, I just like the thought of only having to connect Thunderbolt and power to a rMBP and being done with it.

My concern with is with throughput speed. If I connect the monitor, external HDD and ethernet cable to a docking station, would there be a perceivable speed difference as opposed to Monitor, HDD (USB3) and TB to Ethernet all connected straight to the rMBP?

I know docking station quality will matter, I am looking at the OWC TB2 docking station.

2. Fifteen20s thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, before it is mentioned, Yes I realize the rMBP has ac wireless and Ethernet and not a must have.

With my computing, I do not have a need for tons of computing power but I have a great appreciation for fast. I spend 8-10 hours a day in front of a PC and while we may be talking slight internet speed differences it does help my sanity.

3. ColdCase, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2015

ColdCase macrumors 68030

There's a list of docks here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1831181&highlight=complete

I use both the Startech TB1 and TB2 models. TB2 docks are more responsive than TB1 docks. Wired ethernet plus 600 MBps of daisy changed RAID storage transfer and 400 MBps to a SSD and a 4K monitor does not break a TB sweat. USB3 drives hanging off the dock perform as well as those connected directly to the rMBP.

A TB dock is a good solution when you need a ethernet port and more USB3 or eSata or firewire or digital audio ports, especially for hard drives. A side benefit is reduction in cable clutter. Worth the $150-$300 is subjective. It is for my use case.

USB3 drives connected through a USB hub cam be troublesome, but when connected to a TB dock they work fine.