Docking stations.....pics?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bubble27, Jul 23, 2008.

1. bubble27 macrumors regular

Dear all

Im fed up of having 1201 wires knotted and jammed on my desk and behind my table. Finally wanna get a good docking station that i can link everything up to.

Any recommendations?

Pics would be great! :D

2. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

3. Snowbound macrumors regular

I'm curious about this as well. Anyone have any good suggestions? I like the Imac idea :p though I think the OP and I both mean docking stations for a laptop. Though i could be wrong on his part...

4. Mangaroo macrumors regular

im also curious, i found a docking station but i cant seem to find any pictures of macbook pros connected to docking stations, so i can visualise them easier. i also read somewhere that you have to shut down the computer before undocking/docking...which is a slight turnoff

5. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

As far as a "Docking Station" goes, Bookendz has the market and they are way to overpriced. I would rather save the money and spend it on wire-ties than give it to them.

If you don't mind 'emulation' there are some psuedo docking stations. Belkin has one I believe. It's sorta emulated video (it basically VNC's to your desktop and displays on the monitor like remote desktop) but I think it's Windows only.

Only thing I could offer is some good housekeeping practices. USB Hubs, wire/cable organizers.

6. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

I'll second that. My dock consists of a griffin elevator and some pegboard a la decluttered.com, check it out.

7. xxMacAttackxx macrumors member

xxMacAttackxx

Wow, that is some serious organization...

8. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Sorry this post is a little off topic - but how nice would it be if there was one port (could be special to Apple) that housed USB, Graphics, Sound, Power, Firewire, etc...so just one cord came out of your laptop - then about 3 foot down from the cord everything plugged into that. Like a power strip.

That would mean you would only have to plug one cord in when you talked and all of your peripherals would be plugged in. How hard could that be?

Maybe I should go buy the domain ipower and ipowerstrip.com - :D

My desk is currently an absolute mess with wires. I might have to look into one of those elevators.

9. mynameisshawn macrumors member

I know that HP has something like that for their notebooks, it is a good idea.
    I guess luckily for me all I need is the magsafe and a mouse, everything else I use sparingly.

10. Mangaroo macrumors regular

I think im going to have to buy a mac mini just to get rid of the audio, usb, firewire wires that clutter my desk!

It will leave me with a mbp with just a mouse, powersupply, headphones and maybe another external monitor...its just a bit more then that damn dock and it means i can have all my mail, irc, music, downloads, rss and chat contacts open constantly on one screen while i work on the other - or when i boot into xp ill still have my mac applications there so i dont have to reinstall everything on xp and try and keep it in sync - also when i boot games i can still see things in case i get a sudden skype call or important email/waiting for a download to finish...yeah i like that idea! sorry typing as i think. im still going to post it though :p