Docking Strategies for Macbook or MBP??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cavalier, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Cavalier macrumors newbie

So I want to make my MacBook my main computer. What kind of docking accessories are there so that I can quickly snap my Macbook into something that will use a bigger LED monitor, keyboard, mouse, printer, speakers, etc?

Do Apples LED screens (due for an update) handle that through the DVI?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. trip1ex macrumors 68000

Looks sweet, but it would probably be just as quick to just hook your monitor, keyboard and mouse without the dock. :p

4. Cavalier thread starter macrumors newbie

It does look nice, and would allow me to open the MacBook for a two monitor experience.

By the way, has anyone ever seen a Switch, which would allow me to run the same printer, internet, keyboard, mouse, monitor connection into my old PC under the desk ... as well as the MacBook ... and essence, a poor-man's VMware?

5. MaddieBrad macrumors regular

MaddieBrad

Hello there,
    I just wanted to put my two cents in here as when i was searching for a method of docking my MacBookPro I had lots of suggestions, but none from people who actually had experience with doing so. I sprung and purchased a BookEndz for my 17" MBP and I tell you what... It is great. I have a studio and it is such a pain in the butt removing all my usb and firewire plugs and external monitors, and audio, mouse, keyboard, etc, etc. Best part is that it replicates the ports onto the back... so you have no monitor cables or usb cables sticking out the sides. Everything goes out the back! Sweeeeet. I use mine to connect all of my peripherals to it, and then just slide my book in and out at my convenience. When you first get it the fit feels snug. But after a few days it just pops in easy. I will never go back to the old way of connecting my peripherals. The only thing I would tell you to beware of is that you make sure that the mini jack for the audio is out of the way before setting the book into the dock. I set mine in a couple times when the dock wasn't spread open enough and the mini jack scratched the side of my MBP. not a big scratch or anything... but im uber anal.

If you want any pictures of my setup, let me know and I can take some for you.

Regards,
    B

6. MaddieBrad macrumors regular

MaddieBrad

You want a KVM switch.

Belkin makes a pretty cool one called the flip. There are VGA and DVI-D Flavors as well as USB. I think they even have one where the button is remote so you dont have wires.

B

7. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

8. packfan77 macrumors newbie

Check out Synergy. Its a free Open Source software program that allows you to share keyboard/mouse between two or more computers. It doesn't share monitors, but many newer monitors have more than one input, so this is often not necessary. The cool thing about it is you can share clipboards (cut and paste) between two or more machines even on different platforms (PC, Mac, Linux). I think with some configurations you can also share screensavers too.

I use it to share keyboard and mouse between my Mac Mini and PC at home, and just press a button on my monitor to switch the displays. There is a nice GUI for OS X as well. Search for Synergy and Synergy KVM.