Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

DockPhone, a newly released Mac app, fixes a problem many OS X Yosemite users have faced in the months since the release of the new operating system: the inconvenience of opening FaceTime or Contacts to make a phone call on a Mac. With DockPhone app, users can now search for contacts or directly enter a number within the app, bypassing the need of opening FaceTime altogether.

Though it was one of the major new Continuity features included in OS X Yosemite when it launched earlier this year, many users lamented needing to open FaceTime or Contacts to place phone calls from their desktops or laptops. Receiving calls was simple, but making them through the video chat app designed for a different purpose or cluttered Contacts app felt unintuitive.

Screenshot-45.png
DockPhone lets users skip that step, offering a streamlined experience allowing users to easily enter a contact's name or specific phone number to start a phone call. The app interacts with FaceTime behind the scenes to connect with your iPhone, and finally get the call out to the person you dialed. As with making normal phone calls on a Mac, users still need OS X Yosemite on their Mac, an iPhone with iOS 8 or later, and both devices on the same Wi-Fi and iCloud accounts.

While DockPhone is not the first app to offer such functionality, with others such as Keypad having launched some time ago, DockPhone uniquely allows users to also use their voice to begin phone calls. After clicking the microphone button, simply saying the name of a contact or reciting a phone number will begin a call. Recent contacts also appear in widget form in the Notification Center sidebar of your Mac screen, with quick-access prompts to contact them again.

DockPhone is available for download from the Mac App Store for $0.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'DockPhone' Adds Phone Dialing to Yosemite, Bypassing FaceTime

Bluethree

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2010
Seemed a good idea this..bought and downloaded....and keep getting a call fail

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
I need to jailbreak my iPad to have something like this. Going into FaceTime even on the iPad ans not having a dedicated dialer is stupid.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I need to jailbreak my iPad to have something like this. Going into FaceTime even on the iPad ans not having a dedicated dialer is stupid.

Something like this exists in Cydia?

----------

Seemed a good idea this..bought and downloaded....and keep getting a call fail

This doesn't have a dial pad either? One reviewer said that and another can't get it to work like you.

Do MacRumors test apps they post about?

Edit: the Keypad app link doesn't work.

Edit: Keypad link working now. Direct link if anyone wants to get it from MAS

Last edited:

Supertaff

macrumors member
May 20, 2014
does 't seem to work for me either, I can do face time and continuity calls no problem, but the app doesn't want to play. Thought initially it was because I had Microsoft Lync installed but even after changing setting on that it doesn't work.

Sangoma

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2012
Why is it inconvenient to do this from Contacts or FaceTime? You still have to open an app.

(I don't have an iPhone so I haven't tried)

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
You know something's wrong when a third party app fixes a first party problem.
Of course it's extremely uncommon for third-parties to extend functionality of first-party products. We definitely didn't see that happening much throughout history.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
This doesn't have a dial pad either? One reviewer said that and another can't get it to work like you.

Do MacRumors test apps they post about?

I've tested it and it worked fine for me. It does not have a dial pad, which may be an issue for some people. Voice search is handy and worked for me as well.

Continuity's phone call stuff can be buggy, so it may be hard to tell whether failures are due to DockPhone or Continuity. But calls have gone through ok for me in limited testing.

Alon1

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
What do I have to do? I tried typing in "Call phone number" or just the phone number but neither showed up any results to make phone calls.

What I think he meant was (at least that's what I immediately thought when I saw this app, as well) is that you can open spotlight and type the contact's name. Their contact card will then pop up and you can hover over the phone number and click the phone symbol to dial. That's how I've been doing this for a while now.

Doesn't solve the lack of dialer problem but at least you don't have to launch any app when you're dialing a contact.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
What I think he meant was (at least that's what I immediately thought when I saw this app, as well) is that you can open spotlight and type the contact's name. Their contact card will then pop up and you can hover over the phone number and click the phone symbol to dial. That's how I've been doing this for a while now.

Doesn't solve the lack of dialer problem but at least you don't have to launch any app when you're dialing a contact.

That's actually more than ok. I might just stick to that. Thanks!

shiftless

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
Spotlight still tries to launch FaceTime.
The dial pad by MAS does not.

I find this useful.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
What do I have to do? I tried typing in "Call phone number" or just the phone number but neither showed up any results to make phone calls.

Just cmd+space to open spotlight and then type in the contact's name. Easy Peezy.

----------

Yep, exactly what I meant. Why bother with a dialer? Spotlight is easier. Another really nice benefit of Yosemite. Not sure about Mavericks or earlier.

Alon1

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Just cmd+space to open spotlight and then type in the contact's name. Easy Peezy.

----------

Yep, exactly what I meant. Why bother with a dialer? Spotlight is easier. Another really nice benefit of Yosemite. Not sure about Mavericks or earlier.

My only gripe is that you can't enter phone numbers. Besides the convenience of being able to dial new numbers, it's also an issue when I call a number with an automated directory (for English press 1, etc. ). Gotta carry on the entire convo on your phone from that point on.

Unless I'm missing something.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
After thinking about it, I mostly call on my iphone by going to the contacts app and finding the person I want to call. If I need to dial a new number I go to the phone app and use the number pad to dial.

In Yosimite, I do the same thing of going to the contact app and dialing selecting a contact. So for me there is no difference and it works fine. However, if I want to dial a new number going to facetime to do that is a little awkward. And if you have to press 1 for english (as someone posted earlier) it does not make sense. Forunately, I have not run accross that yet.

For now I think yosimite is fine, but adding a dialer would be nice. Therefore an app that provided a dialer would be really great, but this one I think I can pass on.

UKgaryb

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2013
Manchester, UK
They don't even need a dialler they could use spotlight, ala the calculator function; type a phone number in and Spotlight should be able to dial via continuity

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I've tested it and it worked fine for me. It does not have a dial pad, which may be an issue for some people. Voice search is handy and worked for me as well.

Continuity's phone call stuff can be buggy, so it may be hard to tell whether failures are due to DockPhone or Continuity. But calls have gone through ok for me in limited testing.

Could you please explain a bit more about how extensively you tested the app before recommending it here? "Limited testing" sounds like you tried it once or twice.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Could you please explain a bit more about how extensively you tested the app before recommending it here? "Limited testing" sounds like you tried it once or twice.

He didn't claim he did QA on it. Sheesh. Two people said it didn't work. He said it worked for him.

Raffael (WAY)

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2015
Hey guys,

I'm one of the developers behind DockPhone. Many thanks for your thoughts about the app!

We have received many support emails and iMessages (yes, we offer support via iMessage :)) with regards to "Call failed!" or similar issues while using DockPhone. We could help most of our users and wrote down some troubleshooting tips on our help page: http://www.weareyeah.com/DockPhone/help/

If you need help as well, please get in contact with us, we'll find a solution! Check the help page for our iMessage / email address.

limborocks

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2011
Really? Please share a screen shot.

They don't even need a dialler they could use spotlight, ala the calculator function; type a phone number in and Spotlight should be able to dial via continuity

What people are complaining about is the inability to enter a NEW PHONE NUMBER to call. Not from contacts, not from facetime or webpages, which is what shows up in spotlight.

I get so sick and tired of people posting crap for solutions that aren't valid, don't work, and they never tried, they just copied and pasted, THINKING it should work.

When I see a screen shot of your famous "ala calculator function" dialing a "phone number", wait never mind. You can't do that...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.