DockSwitcher, the Dockulicious app, isn't working

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ero87, Nov 14, 2007.

1. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

When I open DockSwitcher, it vanishes from the dock (quits itself?) after about 5 seconds. Even when it's there, dropping one of those zip files on it does nothign.

I have a feeling this might be because I've tinkered around with those dock files, so now it's all messed up. Does anyone have an idea for a solution? Thanks so much.

Here's what my dock looks like right now, if it helps:

Attached Files:

2. gnownayr macrumors regular

same thing happened to me, trying to figure it out! i tried restarting, didn't help. any suggestions from anyone?

3. cruelmemory macrumors member

4. ero87 thread starter macrumors 65816

ero87

5. idyll macrumors 6502

Sounds like you are trying to open the application.

It is not actually meant to be opened. The way it works is, you place the application (icon) somewhere on your computer, be it the Applications folder, your desktop, dock, or wherever.

Once you do that, you take the dock .zip file you downloaded from our site, and you click and drag it on top of the Dockulicious DockSwitcher icon.

Then it should restart your current dock and apply the new one.

Hope that helps

6. ero87 thread starter macrumors 65816

ero87

Hmm, it still doesn't work... when I do that, the program opens, then quits, and the Dock never resets. This appears in my menu bar, though:

Attached Files:

7. ero87 thread starter macrumors 65816

ero87

8. idyll macrumors 6502

Ooh, that could be it! I am not 100% sure, that is really odd..

9. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

It stopped working for me too, on a MacBook Pro (intel machine obviously).

I was able to fix it though. DockSwitcher creates a hidden directory ".dockulicious" in your home folder when you drag and drop a zip file on it... then it's supposed to copy the files over and reset your Dock, and finally remove the ".dockulicious" directory.

On mine though, for some reason it didn't remove the ".dockulicious" directory so I think stuff just kept building up in there and made it not work. I deleted the directory and now it works again.

To see if you have the ".dockulicious" directory, open up a Terminal window and enter this, which will list all files (including hidden ones):

Code:
    ls -a ~
    You can delete it with this terminal command:

Code:
    rm -r ~/.dockulicious
    (just make sure you don't "rm -r" anything else, because you don't want to delete the wrong thing)

10. ero87 thread starter macrumors 65816

ero87

BRILLIANT! It worked!

...howerver, I must be missing a Frontline file or somethign, cuz it looks like this: any idea how to fix that?

Attached Files:

11. ero87 thread starter macrumors 65816

ero87

Oh I fixed it: I just had to delete the frontline.png file. looks gorgeous now, thanks so much everyone :)

Attached Files:

12. idyll macrumors 6502

Sorry you had to go through all that. :( I'm glad atari1356 could help, though!

The developer still hasn't gotten back to me, but I'll make sure he fixes that and we get an updated version of the app up on the site asap!

we are so close to getting 40 diggs to get on the front page.. wish more people could help us achieve that goal - http://digg.com/apple/Dockulicious

13. fith macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I'm the guy that wrote DockSwitcher. Sorry for all the trouble you've been having, but thanks for reporting the bugs.

I've fixed these bugs and added some more error checking, so this shouldn't be a problem anymore.

I've sent the updated app to the Dockulicious admins, so look for DockSwitcher 1.0.1 on Dockulicious.com sometime tonight or tomorrow!
    (The file is too big to upload here as an attachment, sorry.)

Sorry for the inconvenience; I've really tried hard to make DockSwitcher the easiest Leopard Dock switching application around! Hope this new version lives up to that!

Thanks again!

-fith

14. .fred macrumors regular

I think this is caused because you cancelled the authorisation window.

15. Alpha04024 macrumors newbie

I've got the same problem, I tried to do the terminal stuff but it doesn't work I didn't find the hidden folder. So, what can I do?

Thanks

16. Tefret macrumors newbie

This is a bit of an old thread, but I found the fix because I had the same problem.. My ~ folder did not have write permission.. So, I changed permissions in the terminal... chmod 770 homedirectoryname

Not sure why the write permission was off.

17. theashlands macrumors newbie

still not working

hey all,

ive tried everybodies suggestions for finally getting this dock to change...but still no dice. any more thoughts??? please and thank you....

18. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

Old thread same problem. NO diggs for the developer. :(