Docomo IPhone unlockable?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ruku, Sep 11, 2013.

1. ruku macrumors member

I am in the market for a new iPhone in Japan but there has never been an unlockable iPhone in here before as far as I know. What do we think about the Docomo's chance of standing by their unlock service?
    http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/english/support/procedure/simcard/unlock_dcm/
    Seems probable desu ne!

2. Malus120 macrumors regular

I'm in the same situation. Currently locked into a KDDI 4S, and I refuse to buy another locked iPhone.

If Docomo offers to unlock customer's iPhone's I will be switching over on 9/20 as soon as the stores open.

That said, its Japan, and its the iPhone, so be ready for some BS about how their unlocking policy is for every phone EXCEPT the iPhone.

My advice is to save/print out that page right now (in case they try and change it later), go to their Japanese website, find the equivalent page, save and print that out, and then bring both of them in with you when you go to make the contract.

Be polite, but do not make a contract without a guarantee that they will unlock the phone (make it clear that's why your switching), and be ready to escalate/show evidence of Docomo's official policy if necessary.

I don't know about you,but I'm ready for an unlocked iPhone in Japan, and I'm not taking no for an answer :p

Best of luck, let us know if you get any more info (I'll do the same)

3. tenof26 macrumors newbie

4. KaijuRed macrumors regular

Does Docomo even offer iPhone? I thought it was exclusive to Softbank?

either way, Docomo will unlock phones as long as you show your ID (must be Japan resident). They've started unlocking phones released after summer 2011.

5. tenof26 macrumors newbie

6. Jjaro, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2014

Jjaro macrumors regular

Jjaro

Yes, Docomo got the iPhone in 2013 (I think?) and AU got it in 2012. I have AU now but am going to switch to Docomo for the iPhone 6 as my contract is up.

I need to go in actually and talk to AU and make sure they aren't going to automatically renew my contract. I have heard from friends that they do this, and I'd rather not be stuck with a fee (if this is true).

7. Jjaro macrumors regular

Jjaro

Just wanted to say too, I will also do this and report back here what happens.

8. Jjaro macrumors regular

Jjaro

Ladies/Gentlemen.

I am hearing that if you buy direct from the Apple store, you can get what's called "sim-free" and is unlocked. I went to a Docomo store yesterday to try and get an iPhone 6 Plus, and since they didn't have any in stock I made a reservation, but when I was talking to the guy and was insisting they unlock it, he told me "I'm sorry sir WE DON'T SELL UNLOCK BUT YOU CAN GET ONE FROM THE APPLE STORE." I'm going to call now this morning to check, and if this is true I'm heading up there to buy one. I will report back with pics too if it is indeed unlocked!

9. patent10021, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014

patent10021 macrumors 68020

patent10021

Hello?!?!?!?!?!

Apple Japan has been selling unlocked (SIM Free) iPhones since the beginning of 2014 (iPhone 5s/c).

I never understood why people would buy their iPhone 5s/c at Softbank, Docomo, AU etc. You can buy a factory unlocked iPhone at Apple Japan for the same price and use your phone how you like anywhere in the world.

In addition you can buy prepaid SIM cards contract free from many companies in Japan and pay month to month and say 'F_ck off' to the big 3. Japanese carriers suck balls. If you want you can also rent Softbank SIM cards at Softbank shops located in the major airports in Japan and in select Softbank shops in Yokohama.

Do NOT give your money to the carriers. Give your money to Apple and give the Japanese telecoms a message that they need to get with the times and unlock their phones.