Docs & Downloads keep re-appearing on dock after removal

Discussion in 'macOS' started by xgman, Sep 6, 2008.

1. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

I can drag the documents and downloads icons from my doc or to the trash, desktop or by right clicking, but on reboot they reappear on the dock. I have not been able to figure out why or how to fix this. I previously had them removed and they just recently started coming back on each reboot.

Also, can I set the download folder to a different default place somehow? I have it set in Safari and Firefox to a different place, but Leopard wants to insist on that default download folder dock icon. This is driving me nuts. I want those icons off my dock for good. Any help is appreciated.

2. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Are you saying that you want your folders to disappear from the Dock?

3. Cadium macrumors member

I would recommend trashing your Dock preferences and see if that resolves the issue. The best way to reset the dock is to use the Terminal:
    1. Open a new Terminal window (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app)
    2. Enter the following command:
      Code:
      cd ~/Library/Preferences/
    3. Enter the following command:
      Code:
      rm -rf *dock* ; killall Dock
    Hope this helps.

4. xgman thread starter macrumors 601

xgman

I'll try resetting as above, but what the issue is, is that when I drag the Downloads and Documents folders off of the dock or remove them in any manner, they always reappear at the next reboot. I'm just trying to stop them from always re-appearing on my dock.

5. xgman thread starter macrumors 601

xgman

Didn't work. Documents folder keeps reappearing on the dock at each reboot. I even tried locking the dock and still it comes back.

6. xgman thread starter macrumors 601

xgman

is the documents folder forced to stay on the dock normally? What setting would cause this to appear even when dragged off and restarted?

7. xgman thread starter macrumors 601

xgman

I deleted all the dock plist including dockfixup and the dock.db and restarted and rebuilt my dock and so far it seems to be holding after removing the documents folder.