Docs to Go-Office vs. Pages

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by SaMaster14, Aug 30, 2010.

1. SaMaster14 macrumors 6502

Basically... which is better??

I have Microsoft office on my Mac, so I would think that importing documents from my Mac to my iPad would be smoother with Docs to Go... but what is this new Pages app? It seems really promising.

So... I guess, which is better (both are $9.99)?
    I need something where I can type and create documents that I can sync/send between my Mac and my iPad for school (I will be taking notes on my ipad in school, so I would like to get those to my computer). Plus, I may have something on my Mac (homework or an essay) that I sync to my iPad to bring to school... and I will be editing at school, or showing to my teachers.

So... which would be better for that... or are they pretty much interchangeable?

2. jamied95 macrumors 6502

I use Pages, simply because it's made by Apple, and so should be the most seamless experience - although I've never tried the other one, so I can't comment fairly ;)

3. SaMaster14 thread starter macrumors 6502

how does pages work with syncing documents from Microsoft Office Word on a Mac computer?

Does the sync/integration work well? (so if I have someone written on Word on my Mac, and I transfer it to my iPad, will it be able to be viewed and edited and then transported back to Word perfectly?

Thanks for the input!

4. jamied95 macrumors 6502

I've only done it with Windows, but it will be very similar I'm sure - you can use file transfer in iTunes, or you can upload to iWork.com to get it to your Mac, or you can file transfer or (I think) email it to the iPad and open it... As for being perfect - with Word, no. Some formatting isn't supported by one, when it's supported by the other, and so, some things don't quite work, and then printing from my PC seemed to through up more problems (for me at least), where it jut wouldn't print it right (mainly because Pages for iPad doesn't really take into account margins, so, if you line something up with the side of the page, because it looks smart, then print in, you have a horrid border all the way round...)

5. cfs123 macrumors regular

In my experiences, when I am close to a page or so being complete on my iPad, it will always force it to two pages when I open on my Mac using word.

6. SaMaster14 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info on that guys. I'll probably go with docs to go because of the compatibility.

7. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Don't expect perfect, seamless compatibility with ANY of the "office" apps. None of them have it. The more intensive the formatting on the Word doc you start with, the more problems you are likely to encounter.

Spend a few minutes searching this forum and you'll likely find at least a half dozen threads comparing the various options out there. It will be time well spent, as all have pluses and minuses (sometimes BIG minuses). That should help you find the best solution for your particular needs.

8. ashVID macrumors regular

None are great, OfficeHD2 is the cheapest and seems to have the most updates.

ash =o)