Doctor Q in Chicago

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Doctor Q, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Doctor Q, Apr 25, 2007
    Last edited: May 26, 2015

Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I'm going to be in Chicago for a few days next month.

I assume that there is absolutely nothing interesting to do in Chicago, but on the slight chance that I'm wrong ;) I'd like to hear your suggestions about sites and activities.

When I have a chance to look around a city, I look for a bit of the "flavor" of that city -- food, culture, places people hang out, etc.

I'm a science/technology geek, my camera is always on the lookout for interesting photo ops, I don't mind museums, and on this trip I have a particular interest in architecture. That's because I'll be siteseeing with an architect friend who hasn't been to Chicago before. This will be my third trip there, but the first when I'll have more than a day to play tourist.

What shouldn't I miss?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

oh Doctor Q there is a lot to do.

there is a boat tour you should probably check out.
    also you should have some Chicago style pizza. (Giordano's)
    Millennium Park has the bean.
    Hancock Observatory.
    Navy Pier.
    plenty of museums.

feel free to PM/im me on more and specifics if you want.

3. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

Museum of Science and Industry
    Field Museum
    Millennium Park ($500 million on one park, its gotta be worth a look)

and, I'll second Girodano's. I live in Little Italy (5 min from downtown, its worth a dinner at the least)

A walk down Michigan ave is always nice, too.

4. NEENAHBOY macrumors 6502

Definitely go see the Museum of Science and Industry. It's a shame you'll miss BodyWorlds there, but it's still a fascinating place.

5. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

You are correct that I'd like BodyWorlds. Because I did! I saw the traveling show when it was here in Los Angeles; it was great.

6. NEENAHBOY macrumors 6502

I finally got around to seeing it last week. It was fantastic, and a lot more in-depth than I expected. Did you take the audio tour?

7. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

I say you walk the footsteps of Ferris Bueler, and take pictures doing each activity he did. Except the Parade- that may be a little hard to pull off.

8. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

To feed your interest in architecture and local flavor - check out the book "The Devil and The White City". It's a good book and tells the story of some of the most interesting buildings in Chicago, as well as the cities (possibly) first serial killer. I used to live in Chicago, and after reading the book, I'm anxious to go back and take another look !

Have fun Doctor Q !

9. emw macrumors G4

emw

I'd also suggest Shedd Aquarium. Depending on when next month you're here, there may also be some fests occurring that could be fun to attend.

And, of course, the Michigan Avenue Apple Store.

10. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Q - please provide the dates & I'll post some activities.

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i'd forgotten about the Shedd, awesome place and one of my favorites to visit.
    and i thought the Michigan Ave store would've been a given. :confused:

12. iRachel macrumors 6502a

Well, as a science/technology geek, I'd say definitely check out the museum of Science and Industry. Also nice are the Field Museum (dinosaurs and other natural history), the Shedd Aquarium, and the Planetarium. Also, the Field Museum, Shedd and the Planetarium are all within walking distance of one another.

The Chicago Historical Society recently redid their museum, as well.

If you're traveling with the little Qs, the Chicago Children's Museum at Navy Pier might be an option (depending on how old they are).

If you like animals, the Lincoln Park or Brookfield Zoos are worth a visit.

You can take an architecture tour (on a segway), which I've always wanted to do but haven't ever been able to cram into my schedule, and there's always the Untouchables Tour (I think its now called the gangster tour?), if you want to see some of the places that Al Capone and his cronies used in the 1920s.

I'd also recommend the Art Institute if you like art, and definitely have some Giordano's Pizza!

13. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

If you're going to the Museum of Science and Industry you may want to check out the Oriental Institute nearby on the University of Chicago campus. Amazing displays of stuff from ancient Egypt and Persia. This is the stuff that inspired the Indiana Jones movies.

Giordano's is good, but for a real cultural experience try Medici on 57th street for lunch -- conveniently halfway between the two museums!

If you like bookstores, the Seminary Coop is one of the best in the world, located in the basement of the Chicago Theological Seminary.

Edit: The university of chicago campus has some pretty neat neo-gothic architecture, as well as a Frank Lloyd Wright house (Robie House). But there's amazing stuff downtown as well, and lots of Wright stuff all around town.

14. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

We did the brookefeild zoo before a family re-union a few years back, it was a nice little place, I rather enjoyed the dolphin show.

15. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I suggest listening to Sufjan Stevens' album "Illinois" (specifically "Chicago" and "The Tallest Man, the Broadest Shoulders") while there.

I'd like to go to Chicago sometime—that album certainly makes it sound like Illinois is the GREATEST PLACE ON EARTH! :D

16. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

if you're into cameras check out central camera co. they have a website too

17. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far.

We already have "The Devil and The White City" and we've been talking about it.

Giordano's Pizza - check! It's now on the list.

A segway tour sure sounds fun. As a highly experienced segway master I'll have to look into that.

And I have a couple of albums by "Chicago" so I'm sure that will help me prepare. ;)

18. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

There's the Crown Fountain.

I also believe there is a rather large stainless steel bean worth seeing.

19. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Another recommendation for the Museum of Science and Industry -- make sure you find the Body Slices exhibit! The building that houses the museum is a rebuilt version of one of the buildings from the White City. I believe the only other remaining buildings are from the Japanese Gardens.

If you can find a good Frank Lloyd Wright tour, go for it.

Something that I would certainly recommend if you have the time is a visit to Wrigley Field. Either for a game, or a tour if the Cubs aren't in town. Great architecture, and definitely part of the flavor of the city.

20. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

If there happens to be a three hour lull in your schedule, has anyone mentioned Wrigley Field? You could watch the Cubbies lose, if they're at home. :)

D'oh, I just read szark's last sentence. :eek:

21. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

if you end up on the NW side of town Doctor Q there is an even better place for Chicago Style pizza. since i don't know where you'll be i didn't mention it earlier. its about 3.5 miles west of Wrigley Field. though.

22. shecky Guest

shecky

make sure you go to Istria Café in Hyde Park for the best latté in the known universe. its right under the train on 57th and lake.

http://www.istriacafe.com/

well OK, not worth a trip just for a coffee, but it is a freaking excellent latte.

23. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

A nice walk down Lake Shore drive is nice, and a walk around Lincoln Park and a visit to the zoo (in Lincoln Park) is nice. Maybe a walk by the Playboy Mansion (1 street behind Lake Shore dr.) is nifty. Plus, you have to see the only surviving part of the city from before the great fire! Plus Wrigley!

24. iRachel macrumors 6502a

I was just looking for more information on the segway tour myself, and it looks like there are at least two different ones.

This one (link) appears to be a general tour of the city, while this one (link) is specifically an architecture tour.

It looks like the Chicago Architecture Foundation also offers a number of other walking, bus and boat tours (link).

25. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

My brother-in-law and I have talked a couple of times about taking the architecture boat tour. He is an architect and I have an interest in old buildings.

Might also suggest a ride on the "L". Driving in Chicago is tough if you don't know where you are going and cabs can kill the budget after a day or two.