Doctormark77's iBook Dual USB Build Thread

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by doctormark77, Oct 22, 2011.

1. doctormark77 macrumors member

doctormark77

Hello! I hope everyone is having a good day. I recently decided to take a gamble on a $40 iBook G3 Dual USB listed on ebay. The seller said that the unit powered up, tried to boot and then it would kernel panic. It seemed like a fun enough project so $40 dollars and three days later she arrived at my door step.

She had quite a bit of sticker residue on the top and bottom.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I went ahead and fired her up and got the kernel panic:p
    [​IMG]

I tried swapping the ram but she still kp'ed. So i dove in and swapped in a good hard drive with an OSX 10.4.11 install on it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After I put her back together, I fired her up and...
    [​IMG]
    She booted right up!

I wiped the drive clean and loaded OSX Tiger and OS9 on their own partitions. Here's were shes at software-wise now.
    [​IMG]

I then had the urge to customize...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So now my apple matches my wallpaper:D

The specs are as follows...
    700mhz G3 512k L2/Radeon Mobility 7500/384mb Ram/60gb 4200rpm hard drive
    The screen has absolutely no bruises and 99.2% of the residue has come off. I'm going to carry this to work instead of my blackbook and do light web surfing and word processing. I'm also looking forward to some os9 games:D. I've got a battery and a 512mb stick of ram on the way as well. I might try and get a faster hard drive or maybe even an ssd, but all in all i believe I'm just going to enjoy it. I will update this thread with any more mods or additions. Thanks for viewing, have a good day!

2. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Congratultions on your "new" iBook. It is always fun to make those things working again and putting life back unto it.

3. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

nice! I am sure it would be a great machine for what you want it for. Plus it sounded like you had fun with it!

4. doctormark77 thread starter macrumors member

doctormark77

Thank you two. It's been alot of fun, I do enjoy salvaging computers. I've amassed a bit of a collection of power pc macs beyond whats in my sig. It's turning into an odd hobby.

5. MAC MAN JW macrumors 6502

MAC MAN JW

Cool iBook i love the green and blue color in the apple logo;) Very nice job:)

6. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

congrats to your Gamble on the iBook , was well worth it. keep enjoying it ;)
    I like the blue Apple with the green leaf too :)