Document and Download stacks help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by catraoine, Jan 6, 2009.

1. catraoine macrumors newbie

I am new to the MAC and was doing some desktop work. In my frenzy I somehow put the document and download stacks that were already on my desktop into the trash. I now have no idea how to retrieve the those two original folders (stacks). Does anyone know how/if I can get those back on my desktop from my trash? Do I need to take my computer to a genius bar?::eek:

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Did you put the actual folders into the trash or did you remove them from the Dock? If the former, did you empty the trash? If the later, you can put them back on the Dock by going to your home folder "your name" on the Finder sidebar and then dragging the both folders onto the right side of the Dock.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

it doesnt matter if you drag stacks off with the 'poof' animation or drag it into the trash, it only removes the stack which is an alias of the original folder so it doesnt delete your files.

just go to your home folder, highlight the Documents and Downloads folders and drag them to the right section of your Dock.

4. RobZ1 macrumors newbie

5. catraoine thread starter macrumors newbie

Huge help!!

Wonderful... Thanks for your help! I was able to retrieve the download and document stack folders and return them to my dock!

However, I now have another question. :rolleyes: When I open my finder on the left side at the bottom there used to be 3 purple folders. All Images, All Movies and All Documents (or at least I think it was titled All Documents). In my attempt to return the Documents folder to my dock I tried to drag the "all documents" folder from my file to my dock. When I did that the "poof" animation, I have come to greatly dislike, occurred. Now my "All Documents" folder is gone from my finder. Is this a major problem? Or will I be able to live without the "All Doc." folder in my finder? If this is a problem, does anyone know how I can possibly retrieve that and return it to my Finder?

Thanks!

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

you can add the purple folders, or "Smart Folders" as they are really called, back to the sidebar by opening Finder's preferences and ticking them under Sidebar. you can also add your own by saving a Finder search.

i think you need to get more accustomed to aliases and preferences in OS X as you seem to be getting a little scared over nothing ;). as a general rule if something goes 'poof' it hasnt been deleted, a link or alias of the original has and you can just drag it right back or enable it in preferences.

7. catraoine thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a ton! :D I am totally freaking out about minor things. I was raised on and used a PC in college, so that is what I know. I was given a MAC for Christmas and it is great... but I really don't know how to use it like I knew how to use a PC. Genius tutoring classes here I come!:eek:

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution