Document could not be saved. You do not have appropriate access privileges

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AmbaGambla, May 4, 2009.

1. AmbaGambla macrumors newbie

Hi
    I'm trying to get set up so I can use work's database from home. I'm a recent mac convert, and my boss was talking me through getting hooked up.

I needed to add a line to the "hosts" file, but when I try to save it, I get the message:
    The document “hosts” could not be saved. You do not have appropriate access privileges.
    I changed the privileges so that everyone can read/write the file (I am the only and main user, so I should be able to change anything)

Can anyone please help me (in mac-idiot language) please! I really need to get on this database!

Thanks

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

I don't think we have a complete enough idea of the configuration here to help much at the moment. Is the file stored on a server that you're accessing through ftp, on a workstation that is accessible through remote login, ssh? The error seems to be with the permissions of the folder/volume that the file is contained in and not necessarily with the ownership of the file itself.

3. AmbaGambla thread starter macrumors newbie

This is a file on my mac. I haven't even got to the stage of trying to access a server etc yet.

It is in the "etc" folder (which I got to through finder), and the file is called hosts

4. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

5. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Hi,
    This sounds like a similar problem I had after doing an archive & install of OS X. Here is the thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=683830

The relevant question I had was post #9. The answer to the problem was provided by BlueRevolution in post #14.
    Be sure you copy the Terminal command EXACTLY, inserting spaces and slashes as shown. This was my first foray into Terminal but that exact command did the trick for me.
    Hope this helps,
    Morod

6. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Hi,

That command won't actually fix this problem.

The command in your thread changed the owner of that folder, and all sub-folders to you and the group staff. The folder was your home folder.

As the hosts file is a system file, should you change ownership, it could have negative repercussions as opposed to positive.

Once agan, do not change the owner.

Simply follow the instructions in the second web link to obtain the desired outcome

Cheers

7. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Disregard my post, AmbaGambla!

Sorry about that.
    It's just the OP mentioned the folder in question was on his own Mac. The folder I was having trouble with was on my own Mac as well. I guess there's a difference. Sorry again!
    Morod

8. AmbaGambla thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome!

thank you all for your help. Not exactly sure what I've just done, but apparently that is what is needed to get on the work database!

Thanks again!