Document Folder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by aldo818, Feb 7, 2011.

1. aldo818 macrumors regular

This might have been asked before but i couldn t find an answer by searching the forum.

I have plenty of files in my document folder mainly word doc and pdf files. Is there a way i can put them in subfolders and also save them in word or excel directly in these subfolders in documents.

Thank you

2. mjsmke macrumors 6502a

In any application in OSX you can choose a folder or sub folder to save files. This is all done when you click save or save as. When you get the option to title the document you can choose exactly where it saves. Some applications remember the most recent destinations too.

3. aldo818 thread starter macrumors regular

it doesn t work i ve just tried it to create a new folder with finder move it to documents and i can t save anything directly in it nor move existing files from documents into it

4. simsaladimbamba

What exactly are the steps involved in going to that newly created folder?
    Have you checked the "Sharing & Permissions" tab in the GET INFO window for that newly created folder?
    Do you use the simplified or the expanded version of the SAVE/OPEN dialog? To expand that dialog, if it is the simplified version, click on the down arrow right besides the "name" field.

5. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Have you ever moved your home folder? This sort of thing can happen when you create or delete accounts or rename home folders.

1 - Right click (or option click) your Documents folder and pick "show info".
    2 - Then go to permissions and make sure you have read and write access.
    3 - Check the box that says "apply to folders within" and pick apply.

It might run a long time if you have a lot of stuff in your Documents folder but the next time you try to create a folder and save stuff to it, you shouldn't get slapped with any permissions problems. I create folders all the time from inside Safari, Chrome, Pages, OpenOfficeDotOrg and dozens of other applications while saving files. I have never been faced with any permissions problems except once on my wife's machine after I swapped home folders with another account. I had to pick the top level folder and give permission to myself for that folder and everything inside before things started working smoothly again.

6. aldo818 thread starter macrumors regular

couldn t find that option

7. simsaladimbamba

[​IMG]

8. aldo818 thread starter macrumors regular

Did everything you guys mentioned before and didn t work.

I can create a folder with finder move it to documents but then i m unable to move files into it nor save directly into it.

9. Hal Itosis macrumors 6502a

Hal Itosis

Some ownerships, permissions and/or ACLs are probably messed up. Before we delve into any heavy Terminal.app usage, try this kbdoc:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1334

...especially starting at step 4, which goes into the "Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs" routine (obtainable once booted from the system dvd).

10. aldo818 thread starter macrumors regular

Now it worked after fallowing your advice thank you