Document GONE! Poof! Where???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Apple!Fre@k, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Apple!Fre@k macrumors 6502a

Last night my 24" iMac wouldn't wake from sleep so I had to shut it down by holding the sleep button down. Strangely, it would wake from sleep to where I could enter my password but after I entered the correct password nothing would happen except for the password dialog going away. If I hit F9 I could see the Spaces I had open and even take a screenshot using F4 but the second I tried to click on something the screen went black again. So it was awake and running, but wouldn't let me access it. Anyway, I held down the button to reboot.

Today, I went to open an important doc I had open yesterday and it's gone. Poof. Disappeared. Spotlight can't find it, it's not in the folder I remember dropping it in. How's that possible? It's a document I had been working on over the course of two months. It was always there before but not now? There seems to be no trace of it. What's the story with this??? Any other way to search for it. I tried spotlighting phrases I had in the document and nothing.

By the way, it is an RTF doc I made in TextEdit to keep track of one part of my business.

2. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

Yikes....I'm sorry to hear that - I'm not sure what to tell you because if spotlight can't find it and it's not where it's always been...then it sounds like it's gone fore good