Document Management

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Teodora Saylor, May 6, 2017.

1. Teodora Saylor macrumors newbie

Good day to everyone, I am hopeful that someone here can be able to share tips in effectively managing documents in the office. I am now the document controller of our company (in addition to my being administrative officer) as a result of our recent ISO certification. Aside from tracking company records by looking through both hard files and computer database files on a regular basis, I am also in charge of performing edits on documents before submitting them for approval to the management in a timely manner. I am taking time to adapt to this new responsibilities and I welcome all sort of advises regarding document management. Thanks in advance.

2. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

Bumping (because although I'm not a document manager, I've recently landed in an office environment where it can be a big deal) --

We use a SharePoint repository, and all documents are viewable in a list that also includes their last update and who it was that updated each document.

We also can edit particular shared documents; I think these are specifically designated as such (but I'm not sure). This avoids the problem of someone downloading a document, updating it, then re-uploading it while another person is simultaneously updating their own copy of the same document.

Naming conventions also matter, it seems, because if different people name things differently, nobody knows what to look for anymore. As an example, if a document has a certain purpose, its name should also reflect that purpose, which makes it much easier to find later. Someone may not remember the specific name of a document or even its Last Updated date, but they'll remember what it was used for, and that's the info they'll try searching for.

I'm still learning about all this, too. I'm sure there are methods of managing large-scale operations that I don't know about.

3. Teodora Saylor thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I have actually used sharepoint in my previous company and I must say that this tool keeps all document organized considering multiple users and accessibility, plus there is a history of who and when a file has been added or deleted. I am also looking into sharepoint as an option although my superior would prefer a customized document control system tool that can be easily adjusted depending on the company's needs.

Just a brief background, our office manages invoices and documents of various branches with a retention period of no less than 5 years.

4. eyoungren, Jun 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I don't know if what I do will help, but if there is anything you can use you're welcome to it.

I'm a Graphic Designer for a small newspaper and I've had some experience in reworking the document management in my current position as well as at two other newspapers.

We get Insertion Orders for ads that bear the name of the advertiser, the size of the ad and the date of run. Until I got here these I/Os had no numbers. So, for each ad rep I ran their I/O's through a numbering app that printed out consecutive numbers with their initials in a specific spot on the orders.

Each ad is filed separately in it's own folder inside an ad folder which is inside a larger ad folder based on the type of ad. That folder is itself inside a folder for the week of run.

Since we have multiple publications, this is repeated for all ads. The entire folder structure has evolved over time but the arrangment is set to allow me to grab ONE folder for burning that contains ALL the elements used for that publication.

Our ad folders look like this (example): CW16718 2x5 6_22-23 Knaack_State

This tells me that the ad belongs to the ad rep with the intials of 'CW', the number, the size of the ad (2x5), the date of run (June 22 and 23) and the advertiser (Knaack).

We have several server shares depending on department. The main one I use is Composing (see below).

COMPOSING (ppsbsserver).png Week 6_22-23_2017 2.png

I have brought this file management system to each of the previous newspapers I worked for. Titles and such have changed depending on materials being used but the overall file structure has remained the same.

Most small newspapers seem chronically unable to create and organize folder structures. Finding anything is almost impossible. So my goal each time has been to present a structure where someone who is completely unfamiliar with our server can find what they need.

The only difficulties over time has been keeping people who aren't used to being organized on track.

5. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

That seems to be our biggest problem also. It has come down to the point, ever new employee goes through a little class on the proper naming conventions that we use.

Do we have a lot of folders. Yes. But it is pretty straight forward on how to find/search what you are looking for.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yeah, this is something people don't want to be bothered with for some reason. But the naming conventions are there for a reason. When you're trying to find a document on deadline and someone has named it something that is completely irrelevant to what the document actually is it makes things harder to find then they should be.

7. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Ugh, I feel the pain or if they don't name it at all. Love seeing the "document.docx" all by itself, in a folder, and that folder is named "Folder". :eek::eek:

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

That or simply 'Untitled'! OMG!

The person I replaced had a bad habit of naming things anything she wanted because it was just her back here. I dread having to go into her old files to find something.

The other side of the coin for us is customers!

I love how the customer will label their news article something that is relevant to them. Usually it's the subject of the article. Since I don't read this things except to make corrections I have no idea what article is theirs amongst a sea of articles that are all related.

The first thing I do is change the filename to the customer's business name. Much easier to find.

9. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Yup that is another one that drives me crazy! Of course you will see the Untitled1, Untitled2......... UGH!!!

So yes, document naming is very important lol!