Document managment software (Mac and PC)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Esel2k, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Esel2k macrumors newbie

I am looking for a software that manages my different documents .docx files.

It is actually very simple: I write reports in separate word documents and keep them in different folders. Sometimes one needs 1 to 3 month to be completed sometimes one day. I want to see in one software all documents sorted by date or by title.
    Only for a single user, but I use it on 3 different machines and keep the file on a NAS.

Features:
    Searchable through the documents
    Sorting by creation date / title name
    Grouping into different projects (or alternatively tags)
    Function to "seal" or to mark it as completed
    Mac and PC compatibility!!

I have no idea where to look for such a software. In the app store I just find notes application with completely unusable editors (unable to paste excel graph and tables…). Could some just give me some names?

Thank you

2. onekerato macrumors regular

Yep, DevonThink would do what you need. Since you already have some folder arrangement on disk, you could just index these in DevonThink and use tags for marking status such as completed, important, etc. Indexing means your documents stay in folders as they do now, but you can use DevonThink's search and smart folders for filtering these documents.

DevonThink is a Mac-only app. To work on Windows, you can get DevonThink Pro Office edition which comes with a built-in web server, that can provide access to the entire database through a web browser. That means you need a Mac running to serve up the DevonThink database to your windows web browser.

3. jojoba macrumors 68000