Document 'read-only' in a shared folder.

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by AdamA9, Aug 13, 2014.

1. AdamA9 macrumors 65816

Guys.

I'm sure this is simple, but unfortunately searching for a solution didn't give me what I needed.

I have a folder on my Mac which has my company documents in. I need my someone to be able to access the documents and edit them, but they're only read-only.

To create the access I opened 'get info' on the specific folder I wanted to share, scrolled down to sharing and permissions on that folder and added her username for her mac and password.

Although she can see the folder, it's not letting her update the documents. I've just checked the name and privilege actually and noticed it still says 'fetching' for her username, even though she can see the folder.

I guess essentially I need to set the above up. We are both on the home WiFi and have a laptop each with the same OS X version. How can I do this, I should be simple, but I cannot see how.

Many thanks.
    Adam

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You are going about this the wrong way. Go back to that get info screen and put i back like it was originally.

Now open System Preferences and in the Sharing pane turn on File Sharing then add the folder you want to share and the user you want to share it with.

3. AdamA9 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks I tried that but I cannot find the user I want to add. Do I just add her mac computer username and her mac computer password?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

When you go to add the user just pick them from your contacts and add them. You can makeup whatever password you want for them. It does not need to be the same password they use on their machine. What this does is make an account on your machine that they will login to over the network to access your shared folder.

5. AdamA9 thread starter macrumors 65816

She can see the folder and files but still the Excel spreadsheet is read-only when opened, even though permissions are set to read & write. Any idea what is causing this?

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Make a couple test files like something with OS X Textedit and see if she has the same problem? I'm wondering if the Excel files themselves are protected?

7. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

She is not the owner.

8. AdamA9 thread starter macrumors 65816

Can we both not read & write a document then?

----------

The Textedit document was locked so she couldn't edit that either.

9. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

I don't know and have the same issue, so I am interested in the solution, if any.

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I am baffled. I have done this before and it worked. Are you sure you got the get info business back like it was after you changed things?

Maybe do a get info on the Pictures folder or something that was not changed to compare?