Document Scanner (under $150)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Maxington, May 4, 2010.

1. Maxington macrumors 6502

Any suggestions for a simple document scanner for the mac?

NOTE:
    - I have looked at the Fujitsu ScanSnap and NeatDesk and believe it may be more than I need
    - However, the Neatreciepts looks good but don't know how it compares to flat bed scanners

I will mostly be scanning personal documents, bills, tax stuff, etc

Thanks,

2. observer macrumors member

Look at multi-purpose printers -- print, scan, copy, fax. I have a Canon MP530, over 3 years old now -- it has worked very well. It came with OCR software, which works, but not wonderfully.

3. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    anything with HP written on it - since their Mac software is superior to all the other brands. (I know, I've tried them all).
    I still have a Scanjet 4070 which remains fast and efficient and has newly released software which makes it easier still.
    it'll not only do documents, but can scan photos 4 or 5 to the glass and then split them into 4 or 5 separate files.
    this saves a lot of time as one can imagine.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I have a ScanSnap S510; it's not under $150, but that's the only scanner I own, so the only feedback I can give.

It does 18 ppm duplex in color. I have scanned all my college textbooks, so others don't have to buy them. It's quite simple to use.

Just to be clear the scanner I just mentioned is sheetfed only.

5. drchiu macrumors newbie

I also vouch for the Snapscans. I have a Snapscan S1500M as well as a Samsung All in One (among other All in Ones).

Get the double duplex automatic Snapscans. I'm a huge gadget geek, and the scanner is one of my best purchases in the past 12 months. It's fast, scans both sides in one pass, accurate, and has saved me a lot of time. Damn I'm starting to sound like a commercial.

I've thought about using my All in one for scanning, but it just took too long and the software support sucked a little bit.

I think the quality of the scan is probably about the same for both, probably a little better for the Snapscan compared to the all in ones I've used. For me it boiled down to the time it took to scan and organize the stuff.

Oh yeah, the automatic document feeder does receipts really nicely as well in case you're wondering.

6. RangerPaul macrumors newbie

halledise, I've been trying to install my 4070 on a fresh install of Snow Leopard, and not having much success. I got the latest stuff from HP and the install is supposed to do some stuff and then restart and then run the config mgr. Mine restarts but then never continues. The HP software that comes with the drivers works, but I'd rather use some more robust software to scan photos for editing. My iMac sees the HP program but the OS doesn't seem to, I.E. can't use preview or image capture. Iv'e been all over the web looking for an answer. How did you get yours to work?

Sorry about the hijack :eek: