Document Workflow/Management in the iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ericg301, Sep 1, 2011.

1. ericg301 macrumors 65816

My wife and I each have a PC laptop (along with 2 iPhones). Hers is on the fritz, so we're considering getting an iPad instead. Between an iPad and a laptop, we should be covered.

But can anyone describe a decent workflow for working with -- and syncing -- Word and Excel files from iPad to PC? That's our biggest concern right now. We do have dropbox, and I know there's way a to use that, but I haven't found a clear workflow diagram.

Basically, my wife wants to be able to open and edit a document on the iPad, save it, then be able to continue working (or print it) at home.

2. DNAppleGold macrumors 6502

If I understand your question, Office Hd will do just that. (I bet docs to go will also, I just don't own it).

On the Ipad, you can link Office HD directly with dropbox. After doing so, dropbox appears as another location. (Much like your local drive and network drive on a desktop). Use Office HD to open the document (word, excell, ppt) from dropbox, edit, save/close. When you close the doc, Office HD will automatically save back to dropbox. Thus, when you open the doc on your desktop/laptop, you'll have all your edits. The only caveat is that you will need to be on-line when you open and close the document. Works really well.

Again, I'm not selling Office HD or dropbox. I think you can do the same with docs to go, sugar sync, or a host of other services. Hope this answers your question.

3. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

Dropbox is the way I do it. Save my documents in a folder which auto uploads to Dropbox then either open the Dropbox app on the iPad then from there open the document in Pages or use GoodReader and have my Dropbox linked to that.

It will be better with iOS5 and iCloud to have it auto sync with Pages etc but if you have a PC I don't think you will be able to use this feature as it is for documents between Pages on Mac & iPad if I understand it right.

4. palpatine macrumors 68040

can someone confirm that they actually do work with word documents seamlessly across devices? in my experience, pages doesn't play well with word. so, it is extremely easy to sync documents, and viewing them is no problem, but editing and creating in the ipad while remaining compatible with word is difficult.

5. mortenandersen macrumors 6502

Will iCloud exchange Office docs between iPad and PC?

Will iCloud exchange Office docs between an iPad and a PC (both ways), without issues regarding format, etc.?

6. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

Not a PC as far as I'm aware as the OS won't have iCloud built in. On a Mac I assume so there is sometimes issues with Fonts and tables etc though if you're editing a word document with Pages.

7. swedefish macrumors 6502

If you're intent on working with .doc and .docx, QuickOffice for iPad is a pretty competent app, albeit a bit pricey.