"Documents and data"

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by vexorg, Oct 22, 2013.

1. vexorg macrumors 6502a

Since updating my daughters iphone to IOS7 we've noticed on itunes that sometimes an extra bar appears in the usage called "documents and data". It's not always there and when it is it pretty much takes up the rest of the available memory.

What is this? and is it a bug when it is there or not there?

2. vexorg thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

4. vexorg thread starter macrumors 6502a

Didn't see that thread when searching here. I've searched on google and a few people are now complaining about Gb's being lost on IOS7. It appears to be left behind data that isn't cleaned up.

I'm surprised there's not more uproar about it, it's one thing to have to wait a fraction of a second for animation, it's quite another to have lost a quarter to half of the phone's storage. It's not like apple devices have cheap memory options.

5. vexorg thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'll put that down as a bug if no one else has seen it, and report it to apple

6. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

I'm surprised too.

Oh and it's not a bug, it's poor OS design. It's been like this since the beginning I think. It just gets even more noticeable as app (and corresponding data) sizes get bigger.

As per the thread I linked, Apple toyed with idea of allowing the user to delete it on an app by app basis. The capability was never made available in public release, however.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

Is it basically the "other" space that is discussed in various other threads like http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=18217914 -- if so, it's something that's been around for a long time and certainly has had a lot of questions/discussions/complaints.

8. vexorg, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013

vexorg thread starter macrumors 6502a

That would be funny, apple cure the 'other' problem by renaming it.

From reading about it does seem to be sms attachments and maybe dome left over data not cleared up when apps close. It would be nice if there was a purge option in itunes for clearing out all the junk.

9. MrGuder macrumors 68020

I'm still on iso6 but my "Other" is showing 6 Gigs, that is huge and I could really use that for my music but I have no way of knowing what is the other and how to delete it. I deleted all my messages with video and pics attached but that didn't seem to decrease it much. It's like "Other" is a mystery or topic no one wants to talk about and Apple is not helping the user understand this wasted space.

10. myusername macrumors member

myusername

Other -

Most of my "other" were images in SMS and iMessages, if you look at the top of a message there's earlier, look back and you'll see possible images, all those conversations need space.