Documents disappearing

Discussion in 'iMac' started by waynerbbx, Nov 21, 2014.

1. waynerbbx macrumors member

Hello,

I am a college student, and I own an iMac that is about two years old. I have folders for each semester (always have done so) with sub-folders with each course, and ALL the information that I used in that course. I'm very organized. I trust that I did not make an error.

So I went into my folder for my sophomore year (which was two years ago) to find a document that I needed. I opened the sophomore year folder, then the appropriate class within, and THE FOLDER WAS EMPTY, minus ONE document (not the one I needed).

I KNOW that I did not delete anything. I hadn't been in that folder...since that year.

What could have happened? And no, i doubt that some college buddy logged on to my computer and deleted documents for fun.

Like I said, I am very organized, and would not have mis-placed anything.

2. robgendreau macrumors 68040

[cough] backup?

Is it possible you stored those documents in the cloud, or on an external? It's an easy mistake to end up with a different default saving location and not notice, particularly if you used some Apple applications that want to store on iCloud.

And I also assume you checked the trash? And did a Spotlight and/or an all-files search with something like Easy Find (which searches more than Spotlight)?

And mistakes do get made. There are data recovery outfits out that can find even deleted files, but it's not cheap.