Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
So my entire Documents Folder is now on iCloud? I tried to run Parallels for the first time in a while and it wouldn't work because it could not find the Windows.pvm?

Any ideas whats going on here or how I can fix this?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
So my entire Documents Folder is now on iCloud? I tried to run Parallels for the first time in a while and it wouldn't work because it could not find the Windows.pvm?

Any ideas whats going on here or how I can fix this?

If you've enabled Documents and Desktop in The Cloud on macOS Sierra, yes, they are.
Don't think it does if you only have one machines, but if you have multiple, it changes the file structure a bit, giving you one desktop and one documents folder, and then placing your old documents and desktops within those as folders. Just point Parallels to the location of your Windows image and it should work fine - if not, try waiting a bit and see if it's just downloading syncing with iCloud and will work afterwards - if still not working, move it to another folder in your Home and run it from there

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
If you've enabled Documents and Desktop in The Cloud on macOS Sierra, yes, they are.
Don't think it does if you only have one machines, but if you have multiple, it changes the file structure a bit, giving you one desktop and one documents folder, and then placing your old documents and desktops within those as folders. Just point Parallels to the location of your Windows image and it should work fine - if not, try waiting a bit and see if it's just downloading syncing with iCloud and will work afterwards - if still not working, move it to another folder in your Home and run it from there
Wait? So my MBP and my iMac have the same Desktop? I never noticed that.

I do see a folder on the cloud that says Desktop - Thomas's MacBook Pro... I don't see one for the iMac tho?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I do see a folder on the cloud that says Desktop - Thomas's MacBook Pro... I don't see one for the iMac tho?

Sounds like the setting just isn't enabled on the iMac. Can you see said folder on your iMac? If yes, they share the same desktop, yes, and the iMac's desktop, is just everything not in the other folder - well, both machines then have that desktop, and the folder contains the files in the old desktop

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK

If you are using Documents and Desktop in iCloud (as I am...love it) it is a good plan to move the Parallels VM out of Documents anyway, otherwise every time you run Parallels the whole VM will be re-uploaded to iCloud.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
If you are using Documents and Desktop in iCloud (as I am...love it) it is a good plan to move the Parallels VM out of Documents anyway, otherwise every time you run Parallels the whole VM will be re-uploaded to iCloud.

I personally am using iCloud, but use dual booting, not a VM. But good advice for the OP.
I recommend keeping it in your Home folder or a subfolder therein - unless it needs to be accessed by multiple users, in which case it obviously needs to be a shared folder, and not necessarily in a specific Home

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.