Documents Folder in the Cloud?

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by thomamon, Mar 22, 2017.

1. thomamon macrumors 6502a

thomamon

So my entire Documents Folder is now on iCloud? I tried to run Parallels for the first time in a while and it wouldn't work because it could not find the Windows.pvm?

Any ideas whats going on here or how I can fix this?

2. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

If you've enabled Documents and Desktop in The Cloud on macOS Sierra, yes, they are.
    Don't think it does if you only have one machines, but if you have multiple, it changes the file structure a bit, giving you one desktop and one documents folder, and then placing your old documents and desktops within those as folders. Just point Parallels to the location of your Windows image and it should work fine - if not, try waiting a bit and see if it's just downloading syncing with iCloud and will work afterwards - if still not working, move it to another folder in your Home and run it from there

3. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

Wait? So my MBP and my iMac have the same Desktop? I never noticed that.

I do see a folder on the cloud that says Desktop - Thomas's MacBook Pro... I don't see one for the iMac tho?

4. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Sounds like the setting just isn't enabled on the iMac. Can you see said folder on your iMac? If yes, they share the same desktop, yes, and the iMac's desktop, is just everything not in the other folder - well, both machines then have that desktop, and the folder contains the files in the old desktop

5. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

If you are using Documents and Desktop in iCloud (as I am...love it) it is a good plan to move the Parallels VM out of Documents anyway, otherwise every time you run Parallels the whole VM will be re-uploaded to iCloud.

6. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

I personally am using iCloud, but use dual booting, not a VM. But good advice for the OP.
    I recommend keeping it in your Home folder or a subfolder therein - unless it needs to be accessed by multiple users, in which case it obviously needs to be a shared folder, and not necessarily in a specific Home