Documents Folder in wrong place

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macpeach55, Feb 21, 2011.

1. macpeach55 macrumors 6502

macpeach55

Hi,
    I accidentally removed the Documents folder from the Dock yesterday. I the attempts to put it back, my actual Documents folder has ended up on the Desktop. Where should it normally be? (I see a Documents Folder in Users/username, but that alreadyhas two Folders in it already - Microsoft User Data, & Parallels - but not my own Document Folders).

Any help much appreciated!

2. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Alrighty. To solve this you'll need to move the Documents folder back to /Users/<Your Username>. Once that has been done, drag the folder to the right side of the dock. This will create a shortcut to it. If you right click on this new icon in the dock, you can set it to behave as a "Stack", as it was previously.

3. macpeach55 thread starter macrumors 6502

macpeach55

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Really? I can't test this until later, but I thought you could only copy that folder elsewhere, not move it. Did you have two of them?

5. macpeach55 thread starter macrumors 6502

macpeach55

Yes, there was still a Documents Folder in Users/<my user name> with the two Folders I mentioned above, and then all my own Documents were on the Documents Folder on the Desktop. It wasn't an Alias for sure - I checked the infos and that was its location - no idea how I managed that trick, but I don't want to ever repeat it :eek:

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

That's because those applications have gone looking for the Documents folder and either found it there, where it's supposed to be, or failing to find it there, the first one executed created it, the second one found it.

No, not an alias, a copy. An alias would just be a pointer to the real thing. A copy is a whole new real thing. I cannot move my Documents folder, as I suspected, or recalled from before. I'm using OS 10.5.8 so maybe that changed in Snow Leopard. (?) So, maybe your documents were added after the copy was made.

7. macpeach55 thread starter macrumors 6502

macpeach55

Yes, that makes total sense

Must be - the Documents Folder with my documents in it was definitely on the Desktop, and nowhere else!