Documents folder magically gone - Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ndriver182, Nov 4, 2007.

1. ndriver182 macrumors 6502a

I've had Leopard running fine overall, but all of the sudden at some point today my Documents folder has just disappeared. It is listed in my Finder sidebar and my contents are all there. Info on the folder says it's in my profile directory like it *should* be, but it's visually not there. I tried to create a new folder called "documents" in my profile folder and it wouldn't let me because that name already existed there. But why on Earth can I not see it anywhere. This is making me nuts.

2. ndriver182 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I made a copy of the contents of my Documents folder and moved it to my desktop. I then tried to drag it into my profile folder in hopes that it would replace the existing Documents folder that I can't seem to find and bring the icon back. I was informed it couldn't copy the new folder over the original because the original folder is invisible. How did it get to be invisible and how do I change it back to being visible?

3. ndriver182 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Solution

Well, somehow the folder was changed to hidden status. Lucky for me I had Parallels installed on my system. I logged into my "home" directory and told Windows to display hidden files and folders. Low and behold there was my Documents folder. I just right clicked it and unchecked the "hidden" option and bingo. I have no idea how that even got changed in the first place.