Documents from PC to Mac & vice versa going funny

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Macaroooon, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Macaroooon macrumors 6502

When I send or receive for example, text documents in an email the whole layout etc often changes.

I can't afford to buy office for mac, is there a way to stop the format changing when I send things/ receive them?

2. simsaladimbamba

What file format are they in and in what application do you open them? Are those DOCX files you open in TextEdit or Pages?

3. Macaroooon thread starter macrumors 6502

I think it's pages

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

You could try Libre Office. It's a free download.

5. simsaladimbamba

And what about the rest? And to make sure, what application you use, when it is active, look on the top left and look for the bolded name.

6. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Tumbleweed666

It depends why you are sending them.
    If its for edit purposes, then as said use the same editor, something like Libre Office, on all machines.
    If its just to view, create as a PDF before transferring.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Office is your best option as it will keep the formatting, any other app will do it s best but depending on the complexity, there will be changes.

If budget is a concern, look at LibreOffice, there's also Apple's Pages though this doesn't do as good of a job as maintaining the formatting imo.

8. mike08b macrumors newbie

If the files you are sending/receiving are Pages files, you will have formatting issues when transferring between Mac and Windows. If you plan to edit these documents, you should save them as Word documents. Word saves in .docx format which is more widely read by Office programs...you can even upload the Word document to Google Drive and edit the document online without worrying about transferring between computers! If you must have a downloaded program, a good free Office program is OpenOffice. It will read Word documents very well.

To save a Pages document as a Word document, open the document in Pages and go to File > Export To... > Word...

If you do not plan on editing the files and are just transferring them for viewing purposes, you should export the Pages document to a PDF document. PDF documents are widely used for viewing documents, can be viewed in a variety of programs, and most always retain the formatting.

To save a Pages document as a PDF, open the document in Pages and go to File > Export To... > PDF...