Documents having issues opening

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by comda, Sep 28, 2015.

1. comda macrumors 6502a

comda

Greetings,

2 weeks ago my SSD started acting iffy. So i used my Emac G4, to copy over my data to another drive. Today i tried to open some documents that where written in word on my new(er) macbook pro (5,5) with the same version of word. I get the following error:

"word cannot open this document. The document might be in use, the document might not be a valid word document or the file name might contain invalid characters (for example ,<>|\"/).
    (Dash Board Notes.docx)

Here is the real kicker.When i plug the backup drive into my old mac which has now a clean install of Lion with a standard 100GB HDD it opens all the files on the backup drive. And even from the SSD. Whats going on? WHy wont my new macbook pro open these word files up?

I want to secure erase this SSD so i can send it out, but if my new mac cant open the files i thought they where currupt, but if that where the casewhy is my old mac opening them but not my new one?

2. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Try in pages first, then if that does not work, try moving the files to a USB and open from there

3. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

So when i upgraded to El Cap, the issue went away. Now its returned again. The documents open in Pages as well as on the old macbook 3,1 but not on this one. I also noticed boot time has SLOWED down on this machine. BUt First aid says the disk is ok. what the heck?