Documents icon gone from Dock stack

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ramparts, Jun 11, 2008.

1. ramparts macrumors regular

Newb question, maybe, I just switched over from XP (finally!) last week...

So I accidentally dragged the Documents icon off the dock and onto the desktop, where it seems to have completely disappeared. I dragged it back from the Finder onto the Dock in the same place, but it lost that nice folder icon it had before. How do I restore it to how it was before?

2. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

try right clicking (or hold control and click) on the documents icon in the dock, and check if "Display as" is set to stack or folder.
    it may need to be set to "Display as Folder" to see the icon properly.

3. ramparts thread starter macrumors regular

When I do that, I have the icon of a folder with a page on it, but I'm pretty sure the default documents stack icon was different.

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

No, that's what it looks like

5. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

in that case, what may have happened, is that you had "display as stack" selected, and you have changed the contents of the documents folder or the way the folder is sorted.

the stacks display a-z (by default.) a folder named "apple" will be ahead of "attention" for example. maybe by adding something to the documents folder, the icon at the front of the stack has changed? you can also change how stacks are sorted by right-clicking the stack and selecting a different "sort by."

what icon did you initially have? a blank folder? was it an icon that is shared with a folder/item in your documents folder?

set the folder to "display as stack" and cycle through the "sort by" options to see what i mean :)