Documents Icon in Dock Stays Generic

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by liquidsense, Mar 13, 2008.

1. liquidsense macrumors member

I've changed the icon for my "documents" folder, but the change did not take effect on my "documents" icon in my dock. I removed it from the dock, and dragged the "documents" folder with the new icon into the dock, but it just shows a generic blue folder. I logged off, and logged back in, but I still only see a generic blue folder.

Is there anything I can do to make that icon show the icon that I have actually assigned to the folder?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Make sure you right click and select "Display as Folder"

3. liquidsense thread starter macrumors member

4. liquidsense thread starter macrumors member

So, this certainly worked for the documents folder. With this knowledge, I went ahead and changed my folder icons for my "applications" and "downloads" folders. They changed no problem.

However, every time I either log out or restart, they revert back to their generic blue folders (with down arrow and letter "A" respectively). Does anyone know why it keeps reverting back?

Note: if I right click the generic folder, and change it back to "stack," and then back to "folder," it turns back to the unique icon that I've set for the folder. Of course, upon restart the folder reverts back.

Any ideas?

5. AaronRC macrumors member

Drag the folders out of the dock, then add them again.

I had a similar problem and, if I recall correctly, I think this fixed it.

6. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

Ditto, this should work -- after changing the icons for these folders just drag the stacks out of the dock and then drag the folders back to the dock, once you've done this just set them to display as folder and it should show the new icons consistently.

7. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

Exactly what I was going to say.

8. armandavoodian macrumors newbie

hey dude . i had the same problem but i fixed .

at the first change your document folder . right clicl on the document in the dock you see something that write Folder , stack . click on stack the icon of document is changing after that do it again but click on the folder it should be work