Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajaan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
Apple on their iCloud security page states that iCloud drive is encrypted. However, what is less clear is who holds the key. Is it encrypted by my computer/iPad/iPhone or do Apple hold the key. I don't really want my medical information on documents in iCloud if it's not secure.

Anyone have a definitive answer on this not based on speculation.

Thanks.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
AFAIK, Apple holds the key. As to security, its just as secure as your banking information or your health information, provided you are willing to take a leap of faith and believe what Apple are saying about not reading your data.

ajaan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
Thanks. Regarding health information though in the UK the health data is not uploaded or shared across providers if a person has opted out. Therefore, the only people who can access it are your doctor, in that specific surgery, using their ID card to get into the records. The doctors are bound by the their medical council to patient confidentiality. In addition, the records are subject to data protection from EU and UK data protection law. Whereas if the files are sent over to the US via iCloud they are no longer subjected to UK data protection laws.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.