Documents in the Cloud

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by Tech198, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Tech198 macrumors G4

Hi all..

After the keynote and apple focusing on Documents in the Cloud, i can't help but get that "feeling" that Apple is slowly forcing us to store documents and all, that is iCloud would be required to be setup to use these apps.

These are optional right apps, e.g. Pages, Numbers, Keynote? For now anyway ? And you will always be able to store locally ? As Apple never mentioned this at the keynote.

2. bogatyr macrumors 65816

You can choose whether or not to enable iCloud documents in the System Preferences->iCloud section. It is not mandatory. Most apps also have a preference allowing you to opt out for that particular app.

3. wsw1217 macrumors member

On the keynote, the ui looks different than mine. I don't have iCloud logo. I set up iCloud on system setting.
    I am running ML dp4.
    Any ideas?

Attached Files:

4. Brammy macrumors 65816

You need to wait for Apple to release updated iWork apps when ML ships next month.

5. gsmumbo macrumors regular

gsmumbo

But for now you can see that UI by using TextEdit :)

6. bogatyr macrumors 65816

iCloud documents is configured per app not per OS. So the app has to be updated to support it which only a couple have been. Honestly this feature is nothing new since apps could already do this in Lion. Apple is just adding some better APIs for an existing feature.