Documents to go app problem on iPad 3rd gen

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Fatboy71, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Fatboy71 macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

I was wondering if anyone else is having the same problem as I am?

I have been using the Docs to Go app for over 12 months without any issues. The problem I am now having is on my new iPad (the new iPad 3rd generation). Previous to this I had the older iPad and everything was fine. Both the older iPad and the 3rd generation one that I now have, both have iOS 5.1 installed. I have the latest version of Docs To Go version 4.0.8.

The issue I am having on the new iPad 3rd generation is that Excel documents are showing duplicate items and are generally muddled up in appearance. I have tried altering in the settings for Docs To Go, the new file format, I tried switching it to MS OFFICE 2007-2011, but this did not solve my problem.

I have no issues at all on Docs To Go on my iPhone, this is and has always been working without an issue. I thought that with the new iPad having a much higher screen resolution than the older iPad, that might be the cause for the problem I am seeing?

I took a screen shot on my iPad to show more clearly the problem I am having with Excel documents.

[​IMG]

2. take1 macrumors newbie

Yes, I'm having the same problem. I'm sure it is related to the higher resolution and they need to update before anything will be resolved. Of course, the question is how long do we have to wait for that. They don't seem to be very focused on customer service anymore.

3. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

They were purchased by RIM/Blackberry some time ago. Since then updates have been bare minimum. I expect the software to be abandoned at any time and have since stopped using it for anything important.

4. Fatboy71 thread starter macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

Thanks both for the help/replies, its much appreciated.

I've submitted a support email/ticket to Docs To Go to let them know about the problem. In light of what xraydoc I'm a bit worried to when/if anything will be done. The only other decent alternative from what I've read is Quick Office Pro HD (for the iPad) and Quick Office Pro for the iPhone. But these are rather pricey has these have got to be purchased separately :mad:

5. matt90036 macrumors regular

docs to go gotta go.... hopefully MS Office will come out for iOS

6. Fatboy71 thread starter macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

Yeah MS Office on iOS would be fantastic. The only fear I have is that it would be very expensive.

7. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Would Apple's Numbers be sufficient for you?

8. Fatboy71 thread starter macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

Too be honest I've never looked at it. I've heard of it, but I don't know what the app does or is capable of.

9. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Fairly basic spreadsheet app, but it works quite well and will import .xls files. Has very good charting options. While I've never delved in to Docs To Go's spreadsheet module, I would be surprised if Numbers has more features. On a Mac, however, Excel is still the spreadsheet king... though overkill for most people. So unless you need Pivot Tables or VBL, Numbers will probably do quite nicely.

10. Fatboy71 thread starter macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

Thanks xraydoc :)

I also need the ability to at least, read Office Word documents and also .txt Windows Notepad files too. Do you know if Numbers can read these two file types?

Thanks again.

11. CHL-Jackson macrumors newbie

I haven't tried Excel, but I can't get word to work right.

I just got the new iPad, and it is my first one. I got docs to go, and I have synced up with my PC. I can open a doc on my iPad, but when I type text, the "|" moves one character at a time, but I don't see anything. I thought maybe my text was white or something, but it doesn't work. I can't make any changes to a word .doc.

When I save it, and open it on my PC after a sync, nothing changed. It seems like I am opening it up in "read only" mode or something. I bought the premium version. My next step is to try saving the .docs on a cloud, instead of doing the sync thing.

Anyone else have this problem???

12. CHL-Jackson macrumors newbie

Update

Ok, it is a word .doc thing.

I cannot edit the files it comes with. I can edit excel and ppt.

I also have the same excel problem with repeated columns too. What a waste of 18 bucks if this crap doesn't even work.

13. shjhshjh macrumors newbie

Agree docs to go doesn't work on ipad3

I have had great success with Docs to go 4.08 on my ipad 1. Currently on the new ipad 3, in excel I have the duplicate columns rows and entries and in word I cannot enlarge the font or change the allignment to something I can read. Yet I still have no problems with the computer version or the Iphone 3gs version. This is a very reason program. If any one finds a fix or an alternative program please post or email me. I almost thought that the problem was with the ipad before this forum. Thanks

shjhshjh

14. Fatboy71 thread starter macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

Has I mentioned earlier on post 4:

'I've submitted a support email/ticket to Docs To Go to let them know about the problem'

I will update this post when I get a reply back.

Just a thought but it might be an idea for everyone on this forum to submit a email/support ticket to Docs To Go, if they have a lot of people complaining about this, then they might get their fingers out and get something sorted.

Here's the link to submit a support email/ticket:

http://www.dataviz.com/EFORM_infomail.html

----------

Currently I'm using Goodreader to view my .txt Windows Notepad files, Office Word docs, Excel docs.

I can view all of these file types perfectly with The New iPad and Goodreader, even complex Excel docs, how I see them, is the same as if I were using Office on my computer. There was always one particular Excel doc that I have never been able to see correctly with Docs To Go, but this particular file reads perfectly with Goodreader. Obviously I cannot edit the Excel files, but at least I can view them when I'm away from my computer.

Not a perfect solution but I thought I would mention about Goodreader in case some of you's have it and are wanting to at least be able to view your files, until such time that Docs To Go gets fixed.

15. Fatboy71 thread starter macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

Just got a reply off of Docs To Go:

DataViz engineering is currently working on a fix for this issue. Once the issue has been fixed and submitted to Apple, you will receive a notification in the Apple App Store of its availability.

Regards,

Wesley Hamnett
    Sales & Marketing
    DataViz, Inc.

16. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

GoodReader is a great app, but you should know that it simply uses the iOS's built-in ability to display Excel and Word files.

GoodReader's main purpose is to act as a filing system - a document archive to act like the OS's file system. It's great for PDFs too, but hasn't yet been updated to support the iPad 3's retina display (low-res text rendering), so for now I'm viewing PDFs in either iBooks or Adobe Acrobat Reader.

17. mjgolden macrumors newbie

Documents to Go is Indispensable ...

I had the same issue when migrating to my new iPad. Glad to hear it is being resolved.

In my view, Docs to Go is indispensable. There are a million apps that let you word process, do spreadsheets, view PDFs etc. Docs to Go is the ONLY app that lets me move back and forth between my office (by edict and decree, an all Windows, all Microsoft Office world) and my home (iMac with Microsoft Office for Mac) and everywhere in between (iPhone and iPad ... which is where Docs to Go comes in) without risking any formatting of a work document going south, and with confidence that the attachment I am forwarding using my work email/profile and picked up from my work environment will look and be exactly the way I expect it to be.

To be sure ... Pages is a WAY superior word processing app for iPad. And it can save in Word format ... but things don't work as seamlessly back and forth if I want to take a Word doc from my office network, edit it in Pages on my iPad and send it back to the office in Word format. I had a beautiful doc in Word at the office, that I made even better in Pages, saved back to DropBox as a Word doc and sent out to a committee of 30 people, only to discover that the Word doc was a jumbled mess.

I have NEVER had that kind of issue with Docs to Go. I am a little limited in what I can do from my iPad ... but the document integrity is never compromised. And I can't say that with confidence about any of the other apps I have had recommended.

18. Fatboy71 thread starter macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

Just to update.

I had an update in the App Store this morning for Docs To Go. The problem has now gone with this new update. Docs To Go is working fine again :D