Documents to Go: maybe some progress?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by QWK SVT, Nov 14, 2008.

1. QWK SVT macrumors newbie

I'm anxiously awaiting the ability to create/edit/view office documents, and am sure I'm not the only one ;)

I signed up for the Documents To Go for iPhone notification list, from Dataviz. I know they've been talking about an iPhone app for a long time, but it seems they may be a little more serious about it...

Dataviz sent me an email, linking to an iPhone Docs To Go Survey asking about expected use and desired functionality.

I've filled it out - hope they see enough responses to continue to develop what would be the single most wanted app on my list :cool:

2. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

Same

I took the same survey, we'll see if something comes from it. I'm hoping there is as much as you are!

3. PatrickRS macrumors member

Such a survey does suggest, though, that they are in the very early stages of design / development. You don't ask what features customers want when you're already in beta.

4. macbookairapple macrumors regular

I seriously don't get the need for editing documents on such a tiny screen but maybe it's just me.

5. PatrickRS macrumors member

Well, you don't typically write a novel from scratch on your phone. But opening an email attachment, adding a few small edits and then emailing it back to the sender is a very common and useful capability.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You can view documents using the app AirSharing.
    Still no creation/edit. I don't care about this unless I can attach them to an e-mail.

7. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Love the idea, but don't bother if it's not going to offer landscape typing -- it will just be a tease and create more problems.

8. mkaake macrumors 65816

For me, it's about data entry on the go - populating spreadsheets with my iPT rather than having to have a laptop with me. Or making quick updates to said spreadsheets.

Very handy, actually.

9. QWK SVT thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, it's not so much that I would pull out my iPhone as my primary editor... It's more likely it will be a quick review/revise type of use, for the most part. My role at work involves a lot of this type of work - review materials, request additional information based on content (or lack thereof) and provide feedback. So much so, it sometimes feels like I live my life one powerpoint slide at a time :D

I really look forward to being able to work with spreadsheets. Not just for work, but for me. I know it seems OCD, but I track my (and my wife's) expenses on a spreadsheet, down to each purchase made throughout the month, and categorized. It really helped us plan & save for our first home (moved in 3-months ago), and how to better utilize the money we have... Since then, I've created a handful of spreadsheets that I use on a semi-frequent basis, to track various things...

What it all boils down to is I'm hoping that the iPhone can eventually remove the need for me to lug a laptop to-from work, or wait until I get home to do some simple things on my computer. Basically, a bridge, to make my life easier, and less tied to a computer in the office, or at home. Isn't that the whole point of a smartphone, after all...

10. needthephone macrumors 6502a

Interesting to see if any of us gets a $20 itunes voucher as they said..

11. stuy119 macrumors newbie

Bingo - someone else gets it.

I don't understand (well, I do - it's the "sandbox" argument) why Apple would cripple the iPhone by only allowing for someone to attach pictures to email, rather than the ability to attach files as well.

As a business user, this means I can't download a file and send it to someone. It means I can't store a sell sheet on my phone, and email it to a customer so it's waiting in his email as I leave his office. It means that I can't edit a quote and email it without having a laptop with me while on the road.

WTF Apple? Exchange capability doesn't mean it's ready for business.

12. QWK SVT thread starter macrumors newbie

Editted for accuracy:D

Seriously, I completely understand and agree with the need to be able to email documents and launch from an email attachment - I thought it was implied in my previous post, but my fingers were faster than my brain;)

Ouside of the camera and safari, does any app (jailbroken apps included) have the ability to email attachments?

13. odelay macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

You can email attachments (office docs, PDFs etc) with A.I.Disk by Readdle.

14. stuy119 macrumors newbie

Sort of. If you do this, you're sending docs from an @readdle.com address, not your corporate email address.

I want a solution where I'm sending a file (stored on my iPhone, via my email) directly to the recipient. Every other smartphone has this capability, and it's more important than cut/paste, MMS, or a better camera TO ME AS A BUSINESS USER.

15. Psyxologos macrumors regular

I am using 'Discover'. It is free from the apps store!

16. stuy119 macrumors newbie

It's a workaround, not a solution for a business user.