Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

seasurfer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
It is claimed that .docx file size will be smaller than doc. I tried it on many occasion, and only on one occasion did the file size of .docx is smaller than .doc. Why?

seasurfer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
I tried it again, this time I got the smaller file.

I used the same document in 2 occasions and I got different file size, why? The first time it is 88kb, the second time it is 12kb...which is the one I am looking for.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
There are many years now, of mass use of new versions of Ms office.
What is the conclusion?
Are docx files usually smaller than the identical doc ones?

dspsbl

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2013
Who cares after almost 6 years?

No dial-ups today.

You'll notice difference in Word file size only if you turn on/off Include Fonts in File oprion in Wod's Preferences.

gatos

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2013
Untick the option "Save preview picture with new documents"

That I did not find - there is no File option in my Word prefs (v. 14.1.0).

But I found out that if you untick the option "Save preview picture with new documents" (Word prefs, Save), then the size is reduced dramatically. A 158kb file became 17kb.

This option is useless in the OS X environment anyway, as the thumbnail is created by the Finder (probably, by QuickLook) not by Word. So, you do have this preview picture available even if you toggle it off in Word prefs.

Who cares after almost 6 years?

No dial-ups today.

You'll notice difference in Word file size only if you turn on/off Include Fonts in File oprion in Wod's Preferences.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
That I did not find - there is no File option in my Word prefs (v. 14.1.0).

But I found out that if you untick the option "Save preview picture with new documents" (Word prefs, Save), then the size is reduced dramatically. A 158kb file became 17kb.

This option is useless in the OS X environment anyway, as the thumbnail is created by the Finder (probably, by QuickLook) not by Word. So, you do have this preview picture available even if you toggle it off in Word prefs.

Wow! Thanks for the nice tip!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.