Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
I'm currently having issues with opening docx files from the Files app and I can't seem to figure out how to change the default. Right now, when I tap a .docx file, it opens the Google Drive app and prompts me to save it to my company's drive, which I obviously don't want to do. In the past, it would bring up a preview view like it does with PDF files. Is there some way to change the default app that I'm not seeing? I never had this issue during the iOS 11 betas.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I'm currently having issues with opening docx files from the Files app and I can't seem to figure out how to change the default. Right now, when I tap a .docx file, it opens the Google Drive app and prompts me to save it to my company's drive, which I obviously don't want to do. In the past, it would bring up a preview view like it does with PDF files. Is there some way to change the default app that I'm not seeing? I never had this issue during the iOS 11 betas.

I also had an issue where, for some reason, Google Drive just took over some document types in Files. I ended up uninstalling Google Drive. I hope Apple fixes this.

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2017
Several people been complaining about this. It is indeed up to Google to fix, although Apple surely could have done more to prevent this from happening, as users don’t have the option to override a file action from within the Files app.

The same applies to iWork documents, once you have Pages installed, you can’t preview Pages documents anymore in Files, it always opens them immediately in Pages instead.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003

hi. does the location where the file is stored make any difference?
your file is stored on google drive?
does this problem happen if the file is stored on an iCloud drive?
and, if the file is on an iCloud drive is it stored in desktop/documents or root directory?
[doublepost=1506322941][/doublepost]
Several people been complaining about this. It is indeed up to Google to fix, although Apple surely could have done more to prevent this from happening, as users don’t have the option to override a file action from within the Files app.

The same applies to iWork documents, once you have Pages installed, you can’t preview Pages documents anymore in Files, it always opens them immediately in Pages instead.

this behavior is what i have wanted. opening automatically and directly in the native apple application.

opening attachments in iOS Mail however still gives the preview however, which is great.

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2017
hi. does the location where the file is stored make any difference?
your file is stored on google drive?
does this problem happen if the file is stored on an iCloud drive?
and, if the file is on an iCloud drive is it stored in desktop/documents or root directory?
[doublepost=1506322941][/doublepost]

this behavior is what i have wanted. opening automatically and directly in the native apple application.

opening attachments in iOS Mail however still gives the preview however, which is great.

Yes, but users should be given a choice, and right now that’s not possible. Why not add a command to also Preview the file in the list of commands when I tap a file? And how can one app decide for the whole system what files it can open, without users being able to override that? In OSX users can change that.

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
Right, but again its Google Drive hijacking the file opening/preview command; that's 100% on Google.

For example, I dont use the Google Drive app, and in Files when I click a .docx in say Dropbox it opens a preview f the word doc. I dont have Pages or Number installed, just Word/Excel, but a preview window of the doc is opened in Files as it should.

The Google Drive app is the perp here screwing the whole process up. The way Apple made Files works correctly.

Uninstall Google drive and try it and you will see that it works correctly and previews work. It's on Google hijacking all of your files.

It's a known issue with Google's app and the only solution so far to use Files is delete the Drive app
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/drive/9ga_9uinxjs/KNZoYjePBgAJ

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.