DOD newbie w basic questions (day of defeat newbie)

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Macrovertigo, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Macrovertigo macrumors member

Macrovertigo

Hey there forum,
    I have let myself get talked into joining a group of friends in playing Day of Defeat once a week, but since I am on a Mac I know there are special considerations that they know nothing about, plus, they are all playing from Spain, and I need somebody here in the States to help me figure out what the hell I am doing -
    For now, I just need advice on;
    1) the best way to purchase my version, should I buy online or can I buy it at a bricks and morter retailer like walmart or another store?, and;
    2) can anyone recommend an online forum for DOD newbies?
    (F.Y.I. I searched on the forum for "DOD", and "Day of Defeat", but came up with nothing, and I should say that my only online "gaming" experience consists of flopping around in Second Life, LOL.)
    My thanks to the organizers and participants for putting together such a useful forum!

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

3. MindBrain macrumors regular

There is not a Mac version of Day of Defeat. You're only options are to use BootCamp to run windows or Crossover Games http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxgames/

I use Crossover Games to play Day of Defeat: Source, works great. What you'll need is Crossover Games demo, insaller for Steam, a Steam account, and purchase DoD through steam. You're going to run into some troubles doing this all from scratch though, Crossover can be finicky. You'll likely have to purchase the game through the Steam website (not inside the Steam interface as usual) and turn off the Steam notifications options for the best experience.

I've only been playing Day of Defeat: Source so I can't comment on how well the original Day of Defeat works on Crossover. If you're gonna be playing DoD:S then you should make sure your computer is fast enough too.

4. Macrovertigo thread starter macrumors member

Macrovertigo

crossover/steam it is then, further question tho about teamspeak2

Hi thanks for the comments, the way is clear, now to gird up, lol. I will ask which DoD they play, also, they have given me a cd with something called TeamSpeak2 that they use to communicate with each other as they play, can I use crossover to open and use that app?