Dodged a bullet - water spill!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by BasilFawlty, Oct 31, 2011.

1. BasilFawlty macrumors 6502

Jun 20, 2009
    New Mexico
    I bought my Unibody MacBook back in 2009 just before they discontinued that style for MB. It's been a great little laptop for the past couple of years and I was loooking forward to upgrading the memory to 8GB (already upgraded HD to a SeaGate Momentus Hybrid 500GB). Anyway, one night I sat the thing on my night stand after watching some old Dick Van Dyke shows on Hulu. The next morning, I reached for my glasses on the nighstand and inadvertantly knocked over a glass of water and got my MB wet. Even though it was closed, water somehow found its way into the inner workings and the thing was completely dead! I was so depressed! Anyway, I decided to open it up and leave a fan running on it all day and keep my fingers crossed!

When I got home from work that night, to my delight, it was working again and so far no signs of any problems! Whew! That was a close call! I've also heard that putting them in a box filled with rice is a good way to draw out all the moisture, but I didn't have to resort to that this time!

Memo to self: Keep the water glass away from the MB!
  2. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

Jan 8, 2008
    Tampa, Florida
    If you can stand it, I would keep it off and under a light breeze for another day or two just to make sure that any moisture is gone.

But yeah, generally water is the kindest thing you can spill on a computer. It's when you get into things like tea, coffee, and booze that you start getting into trouble.
  3. Dnix macrumors 6502

Dec 9, 2010
    It's times like these that Thinkpads might come in handy, lol.
  4. tbear1 macrumors regular

Dec 16, 2007
    I think it was the Dick Van Dyke shows that were the real issue.