Dodgy backlighting on new MacBook Pro (pics)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Simon Young, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Simon Young macrumors member

I noticed this the day I got my new MacBook Pro. It didn't bother me at first but it's starting to annoy me now. During normal use, looking at the screen straight on, the bottom is slightly dimmer than the rest. However when you view the screen slightly from above (or tilt it towards you) it's obvious the backlight is blotchy and uneven in that area, almost as if pressure is being put on the LCD by the glass:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Move to the side and the effect becomes even more visible, particularly in areas of solid colour but also on forums such as this one:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Everyone seems to be raving about how great the new screen is, and from certain angles and under certain conditions that's somewhat true. However, this unevenness seems unacceptable to me in such an expensive laptop. My old PowerBook screen may look dim and yellow by direct comparison, but the backlighting is far more even from all angles. Have any other new MBP owners noticed something similar? If so, would it be possible to have some pics to compare and contrast? If it appears I'm in the minority I'll probably take the machine back. :(

2. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

I would take it back to Apple and ask for a replacement if you just bought it. Unfortunately Apple decided to do away with the anti glare screens due to cost. Glossy screens are so much less expensive for mfg to purchase and thus the profit margin goes up. If you recall 10 years ago all computers had anti glare screens and were gorgeous. But they cost alot more money too. At least Apple still lets you choose a matte screen on the 17" - for now.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

?
    What does gloss have to do with backlighting issues?

4. 7even macrumors 6502a

Mine is kinda like that (though it's not too noticeable in reality), and another new MBP I saw earlier with a different kind of panel had the same thing. As long as it looks good straight-on, I don't think it's much of a problem. I had screens before where the unevenness was noticeable straight-on. Far more annoying.

5. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

i dont think i have that problems with the one i got today, please check me new thread here and see he screen pics.

6. 7even macrumors 6502a

Try opening a solid-colored image, and underexpose the photo a bit.. can't really tell from your pics. I was going to post about this too, but it wasn't showing up too much on my photos.

7. sk47 macrumors member

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Apple-MacBook-Pro-15-v5-2008-Unibody-9600M-GT-9400M.11973.0.html

According to that review, it seems like that is normal. Highest brightness near the center (370cd/m2) and lowest near the bottom (270cd/m2). The top also tapers off to a modest 303cd/m2.

8. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

i id with a pixel checker app and i have now screen problems, everything is bright and even. on blue/red/black/white and green

9. 7even macrumors 6502a

Good. :)

10. Jatku macrumors member

Yeah your screen looks really bad. Take it to the Apple Store for a replacement.