dodgy home button on my iphone 4!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by violentrapist, Nov 19, 2010.

1. violentrapist macrumors newbie

it seems kind of loose and it sort of double clicks everytime i press it. if you just subtly place your finger on the button it moves up and down. it clicks pretty differently to how it should and although this is a minor detail, it is really putting me off. with every click of the button i cringe.

do you think they'll offer to fix it or give me a new phone? im on network 3 by the way in the uk.

2. bigscotal macrumors 6502

bigscotal

Sounds remarkably like mine. It's not all the time, but often when I press it, there is a noticeable initial click noise from the button before it actually then clicks again properly and functions. Happens more if you just press the button gently.

I'm a bit like you. Whereas I appreciate it isn't really affecting the funtionality of the phone, I am finding it very annoying. Totally appreciate your cringe comment!

Will be interested to hear what you do about this, and what Apple say if you take it in to the Genius bar.

3. sirslaysalot macrumors member

take it to apple. i'm certain they'll change it for you. only buttons that're supposed to have a little "give" are the volume keys. home button + sleep button are both supposed to be solid.

4. bullseyetech macrumors member

bullseyetech

I had the same problem as well! I took it to the Genius bar and they said that it function fine which it was but I said that with the money I paid for it I would expect it to be perfect and they just said they can't replace so I got a refund and ordered a new one and its perfect now! Hope this helps and good luck buddy!

5. violentrapist thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah it doesnt do it all the time, but it does it often enough i.e. out of every 10 clicks, 6 will have the issue.

6. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

they don't replace 100% functioning buttons because you have OCD

let me guess if you press it right in the middle it works all the time?

7. bigscotal macrumors 6502

bigscotal

For those that are just dismissing this as a "non-issue", all I can say is that you obviously don't have a handset that does it.

It's damned annoying, no two ways about it. As the OP said, on a £500 handset, it simply shouldn't do it.

8. violentrapist thread starter macrumors newbie

its a hardware issue, not a "thumb" issue. it'll be the same no matter how you press it. ive had the iphone 2 and 3g and the buttons on both these devices were firm.

now ive forked out for an iphone 4, is it too much to expect it to have a firm button? after all its not like ive paid for the damned thing (sarcasm).

9. lshirase macrumors regular

I have the same issue. At first i was annoyed, but after a while i just got used to it. Everything else is perfect so i wouldn't want to risk getting a replacement with more severe problems.

10. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I got mine replaced for this same problem. The genius said it was fine but I was not budging and he gave me a new one. This was also a few days after launch of the iPhone 4

11. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I'm quite fed up of my Home Button not working properly (often when I press it it wont do anything or it will act as if I pressed it twice - going to the search screen or opening the "multitasking bar").

I booked a genius bar appointment to have it replaced, but they had to cancel it and so I saw that as a sign that I should leave it a while.

12. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

so take the phone in and stop feeding the trolls.