Dodgy lightening connector

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Michael73, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Michael73 macrumors 65816

I have a 12 month old 5S and within the last month or two the lightening port has become unreliable in it's connection with various cables. It seems as though there is some wiggle to it and if the cable isn't in a very specific position no charging occurs. Anyone else have this issue? Is this a known problem? I'm assuming since I'm covered under AppleCare they'll take care of this, yes?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I've never had an issue with my lightning cables or connections, but some folks have. Apple should be able to either replace the connector on your phone, or more likely, just replace your phone.

3. wacky4alanis macrumors 6502

I was having similar issues, and it turned out to be lint inside the connector. I used a wooden toothpick to carefully clean it out, and it has been fine ever since.

4. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

I have the same issue on my iP5, but since I'm less than 2 months away from upgrading, I'm just going to deal with it.

If you're right around the 12 month mark, Apple may just replace it under warranty.

5. Michael73 thread starter macrumors 65816

I had the same thought when this first began happening so I used a can of compressed air to blow it out but it didn't help :(

That's what I figured. About a year after owning my iP4S the audio jack started outputting sound to only one ear. I called AC and being a hardware issue, they made an appt for me at the local store that day. I took it in and after looking at it for about 5 minutes, they graciously replaced the unit rather than making me wait for a week or two to fix my existing unit.

Although I like to iP6 and just bought one for my wife and son, I'm quite happy with my existing phone and will wait the 12 months till the iP6S comes out to upgrade. I'd be happy if they replaced the unit. :)

6. bransoj macrumors 6502a

Had the same issue with my iPhone 5 and was on the verge of going to Apple to see about getting it fixed. I'd already had a go at cleaning it out but had one more go and was a bit more aggressive using a straightened out paper clip...that time i managed to pull a big lump of trouser fluff out and its been fine ever since!

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I had the same problem and it turned out the connector port (on the iPhone 5s) was loose. All the Genius did was tighten it and all is well. Just pay a visit to the Genius bar and it'll just take a few minutes for them to do it. No need to swap it out and they'll most likely be happy to do it even if you're out of warranty.

8. Michael73 thread starter macrumors 65816

Spoke to AC and they promptly made me an appt at the local store. The "genius" grabbed the phone walked away for about 1 minute and returned to say she'd removed a bunch of pocket lint and it should be fine. When I asked how she'd done it, she smirked as said she'd used a paperclip but doesn't recommend I do it if I have the problem again. She also said that whatever she got out probably would not have come out with using my can of compressed air. I guess time will tell...

9. wacky4alanis macrumors 6502

I think a toothpick is much safer than a paper clip... It's non-metallic so it won't short anything out. And it's softer, so it won't scratch any contacts.