Dodgy mac hard drive replacement...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by apple ninja, Nov 27, 2011.

1. apple ninja macrumors newbie

My next door neighbour had the hard drive replaced in his 2007 mac about 2 months ago, by the local indecent computer repair shop (not apple store). Last week the mac died again and he diagnosed it himself as a faulty hard drive. Been the nice person i am I have agreed to replace it for him. On taking the machine apart today I have found the hard drive not to be bolted into the machine, or the temp sender attached. Would anyone know if this would give similar symptoms to a dead hard drive with a lack of a definite earth? Bit of advice would be great before he gets on the phone to the hard drive supplier and making a prat of himself!!

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Did You Take Pictures?

If that was me I'd be marching right back to the idiot who replaced it for a proper repair.

Yes, no ground, no sensor all that could cause problems...Can you get hold of a hard drill caddy?....USB? I use one for backups, and it would be a sure way to test the drive by connecting it to your mac and have a look. If it works, you know it's the bad workmanship in the original repair.

This kind of thing:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lutall-USB-...?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1322405180&sr=1-13

3. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Yes leaving those items unattached would cause a premature failure. Obviously the take away lesson should be to only take your iMac to an Apple Store or AASP for repair.

4. apple ninja thread starter macrumors newbie

I like the look of the drive tester! So have ordered one, but in the mean time i have put the computer back together with a re attached hard drive and temp sender, now on start up its flashing the famous question mark in a folder on a white screen. Does anyone know if this means the hard drives dead, or does the operating system need to be reinstalled? Thanks for all your help so far

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

To Test It

Insert Your installation media and reboot whilst holding down the CMD + OPTION keys....if this starts the reinstallation process, the drive is probably okay, but if you do this YOU WILL LOSE those photos forever.

Might be best to wait until you have the caddy.

6. apple ninja thread starter macrumors newbie

Just incase this helps anyone... after a lot of messing round I found the disk drive not to be working on the mac, so made a bootable driver on a usb stick, but still no luck. I took the hard drive out again and split the casing by removing the small screws round the outside and found the connection between the SATA port and circuit board had been soldered by someone wearing a blindfold and using chop sticks instead of a soldering iron. So after re doing this and rebuilding the machine again it booted up perfect! On questioning the bloke who did the original repair he has now gone bankrupt so works in the local tesco! So the moral of this story is when getting your mac repaired, give the person thats doing the work for you a good grilling and maybe even ask for references!!