Dodgy new memory causing problems?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by afd, Sep 3, 2007.

1. afd macrumors 6502a

Hi, I just stuck 2GB of crucial RAM in my G5 iMac. Things were fine for a week but now the dock doesn't magnify and I can't resize it. Also if opening a menu it won't move down to the next level. I re-installed tiger, keeping the old account settings it worked for a day but now doing the same strange things.
    Techtool deluxe says the memory is fine, anyone got any idea?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

It's possible, but it's unlikely for bad memory to affect the machine in such a specific way. Usually bad memory creates kernel panics and freezes, without regard to what program you are in or what you are doing. You can run the Apple Hardware Test off the CD, or download Rember from Versiontracker.com to test the memory

3. afd thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks, will try that after I have re-installed tiger again. Formatting disc first this time. Other change is a new alloy keyboard, I hope that's not causing problems!

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The keyboard is another variable you will have to test for. Any USB peripheral can cause wonky behaviour if it is malfunctioning

5. afd thread starter macrumors 6502a

:eek: Feeling like a numpty now, maybe I should have tried the old keyboard before anything else!

6. afd thread starter macrumors 6502a

so far with clean install (and aluminium keyboard) things seem fine. Will gradually add stuff that i backed up to firewire.