Dodgy screen? Late '11 15" HR-AG

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by punkromance, Feb 4, 2012.

1. punkromance macrumors member

Blue area at the bottom, whiteish bit at the left, brighter patches in the middle.

A slightly over exposed + normally exposed photo of my screen at full brightness displaying a black image.

It's not quite as bad as it looks in the photo else I would have taken it back straight away, but it's irritating and certainly noticeable when watching films. I'm wondering if this is the same with all screens, or if mine's faulty.

[​IMG]

2. thundersteele macrumors 68030

It looks a bit extreme. However most screenshots of notebook screens that are taken in the dark look similar to the above.

Do you notice any of this during normal use, i.e. when not sitting in absolute darkness?

3. punkromance thread starter macrumors member

Yeah my old '07 MBP wasn't perfect, though it wasn't anywhere near as bad as this.

In normal use with bright surroundings no you can't tell, it's only when dealing with large dark areas of the screen in darker rooms. The problem with that is that me being a bit of a night owl, the latter is my working environment pretty often and when editing photos I prefer to work with as little ambient light as possible.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Mine looks just as bad if in the dark if my screen was fully black (though I've never used my computer like this, so I'm wondering why you're staring at a black screen in the dark for?)

[​IMG]

5. punkromance thread starter macrumors member

Haha, it actually affects me all the time. I have a dark wallpaper - I can see it on that. Any time a film fades to black, and general dark scenes in films - see it on that. Any films shot wider than 16:9, full screen editing in PS/LR, etc. See it on that.

I might be making a mountain out of a molehill, but one of the reasons I spent so much money on a MBP is because I've always liked their screens. It just seems a bit crappy. Though if it ends up just being a universal feature of any screen like this then I guess I'm stuck.

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Try to exchange it... there are some fluctuations in the manufacturing process, so you might get one that has less features in the dark.