Dodgy scrollwheel on Apple Bluetooth Mouse

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by stringtheorist, Nov 8, 2008.

1. stringtheorist macrumors regular

Is there any way to fix the intermittent/faulty scrollwheel on the Apple Bluetooth Mouse? Mine hardly works at all now and there seems no way into the unit to clean/fix it. Should I just bite the bullet and buy a different mouse?

2. davidmb macrumors newbie

Easy Fix

turn the mouse upside down and using a clean piece of paper, roll the mouse quickly up and down the paper making sure the ball is touching the paper. Basically at an angle so the scrolling part is moving while you do it. This releases any dirt and gets rid of any stuff that is preventing your mouse to work properly.

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

If cleaning it doesn't work, you can always get it swap it out at an Apple store or AppleCare can replace it if you're covered under either your 1 year or 3 year extended warranty. Make sure you unpair the mouse before hand though so you can re-pair with the replacement.

4. Macmonter macrumors regular

Macmonter

Roll the ball in all directions while pressing down hard on it.

5. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Unfortunately this is just a flaw with what is a terrible product. It's unfortunate it is so expensive because there are so many better mice out there which cost less money.

6. Chopper9 macrumors regular

Chopper9

The best solution I have found is this...

Take a clean sheet of paper, and set it down on a flat smooth surface... like a kitchen table.

Then turn your mouse upside down, and firmly roll the hell out of the little grey ball applying pressure.

Go back and forth, up and down, circles... vigorously.

You will actually see black particles coming out either on the paper or on the surface of the mouse itself.

Keep rolling the hell out if it until it works.... and it will work.

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Mine works great. I clean it regularly though. My local college's computer lab has 30 imac plastics. The MM from about 2-3 years ago still work fine. 1 or 2 have scrolling issues, but for the most part, they work.