Dodocase for iPad2

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by ea9, Mar 19, 2011.

1. ea9 macrumors regular

Is the second version any better then the first one?
    I heard the first one had some issues... I already placed my order but I'm now wondering if I should have went with the Portenzo.

thanks.

2. SoybeanStasher, Mar 19, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2011

SoybeanStasher macrumors regular

I can't think of any reason to pick the Dodocase over a Portenzo or Pad & Quill Octavo. Both of the alternatives offer the magnet for automatic wake/sleep and other features. The iPad 1 Dodocase was 1" thick, so if the iPad 2 case is similar, it's way thicker than both the Portenzo and Octavo.

I applaud Dodocase for being a prime driver behind the Moleskine iPad case phenomenon, but they haven't kept up with their competitors in features.

3. ea9 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I will try to cancel and get a Portenzo.

Moroccan or Levant leather?

4. SoybeanStasher macrumors regular

Depends what kind of grain you prefer. Morocco is more like an actual Moleskine. Levant has more texture.

5. ea9 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks again. :D

6. schmoopy.design macrumors regular

I went with the DodoCase. The case looks great and they have been very friendly and professional when I've contacted them. Looking forward to getting it.

7. misdy macrumors member

I've ordered a dodocase also, over the portenzo. I don't think the smart cover thing is that great, and the dodocase folds in a different way. I needed it to be able to stand up horizontally and vertically, as well as have a bit of an incline for typing, all of which seems better with the dodocase.

8. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

9. leenak macrumors 68020

Unfortunately, the octavo case looks to be made of leather. I'd like to hear others review of the dodo case as well.

10. mysterygirl macrumors regular

Please post your experience with each. I'm curious to know more about the build quality of each case and how well each holds the iPad and stands in horizontal mode.

11. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Good luck to both of you--hope Dodo significantly improved their build quality else you'll be looking for replacements in a few months (if you're lucky).

The Dodo's spine was a bit firmer than the Portenzo so it maintained an incline for typing a bit better but IMO, that's the only thing that was better. My bamboo frame split and suffered from the all too well publicized ineffective corner pads (reapplied/replaced multiple times)--case lasted about 4 months. The Portenzo is light-years ahead in build quality and offers many more options for customization. I'm not getting one for my iPad 2 as I prefer using it without a case (carry it in a sleeve) but if I wanted another notebook style case, wouldn't hesitate to get another Portenzo.

12. jeremy3721, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2011

jeremy3721 macrumors regular

Has anyone received their dodo case for the iPad 2? I ordered one of the limited edition models and tomorrow marks 3 weeks since I placed my order which is so I assumed there would be some reviews by now, but I have not seen any.

13. IbisDoc macrumors 6502

Ordered mine (limited edition) on 3/9, and it shipped today.

14. jeremy3721 macrumors regular

Ordered mine the same day. Maybe it will at least ship this week.

15. jeff_siler macrumors 6502

Any pics from people who have received their Dodocases for iPad 2?

16. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I posted some in another thread. Do a search on DODOcase in this forum.

17. HazChem macrumors regular

I've owned a Dodocase since they first came out and it's been solid. The first batch of corners came unstuck. Once they went with 3M, I've yet to have it come unstuck.

For the iPad 2, I settled on a Portenzo but changed my mind after reading all the issues and concerns they are having. While I am sure it's a good case, I've decided to stick with Dodocase since I've been very pleased.

I much prefer the look of the bamboo frame as opposed to the birch plywood.

I just ordered the Limited Edition and I'm sure I'll be very happy with it. I do wish Dodocase had incorporated the smartcover feature but it's not a biggie for me.

18. jeremy3721 macrumors regular

Wow! Just got my limited edition DODO. I love it. I'd decided I probably wouldn't keep it but now I think I've changed my mind. Well, I'd probably sell it for $150 ;)

I'll try to upload a video shortly. No camera cutout in the back but I've literally not used the back camera on my ipad one time since I purchased it a few weeks ago so it's not a concern. I'm going to return my black leather smart cover instead.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. jeremy3721 macrumors regular

20. benjayman2, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011

benjayman2 macrumors 6502

benjayman2

21. HazChem macrumors regular

I don't think that is a Smart Cover based on shape of it. The gap certainly isn't as big as one of the pictures that is floating around.

Do you think you can measure it and list the dimensions? I'm interested to see how it compares to the other moleskin-type cases.

Thanks!

22. jeremy3721 macrumors regular

Yeah, to clarify that is not a smart cover. It's just the glare from the screen being on. You cannot use a smart cover with this case.

23. benjayman2 macrumors 6502

benjayman2

24. schmoopy.design macrumors regular

My Dodocase and white iPad 2. I went with the sky blue interior. Loving it.

Attached Files:

25. WoodrowCall macrumors 6502

WoodrowCall

Nice! Would you mind posting video/pictures of it in typing or viewing mode? I'm really liking these and the company seems so much more reliable than Portenzo.