Does 10.5.7 solve problems with 09 Mac Pros?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Sandreckoner, May 13, 2009.

1. Sandreckoner macrumors newbie

Some weeks ago when the 2009 Mac Pros came out, a number of people came forward with problems they were having with their new macs. We had: (1) a fan noise problem; (2) video woes, especially upon waking from sleep; (3) ATI drivers that were maybe less than they could have been. Feel free to remind me of any problems I am now forgetting. I would like to know whether installing 10.5.7 on your 2009 mac pro solved any problems or otherwise improved your computer. If anyone knows whether the video drivers in 10.5.7 are new or recycled, that would be helpful. If you haven't had any problems, and if 10.5.7 hasn't introduced any problems, that would also be helpful to know.

Thanks.

2. trancepriest macrumors 6502

trancepriest

Improved the speed of my computer over all (Geekbench score of 17840 vs. 17767 before). Also improved fps playback in Color from 8fps to 13/14fps with RED clips. Improved playback in RedCine from 9fps to 13fps.

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Tempting but...

Does 10.5.7 create problems with Caldigit/RaidCard users?

4. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Good to hear. I'm getting one in a few days, I wonder whether to just install 10.5.7 from the get go, or wait. Lots of people seem to be having problems...

5. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Another problem was intermittent bluetooth connectivity issues with keyboards and mice... is that gone?

6. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I installed it on my 2 backup machines, no real noticeable problems so far. But my main work machine, I'm holding off for a week or two just to see what problems arise.

7. tinycg macrumors member

Brand new and now running fine.

Seeing as how my Mac Pro is still less than a week old and was encountering the sleep problem with video and a couple little bugs, I updated because worse case I figured, reinstall back to 10.5.6, I wouldnt lose all that much at this point.

10.5.7 has seemingly fixed all the little things I've been experiencing. So as far as I'm concerned, I can't complain.. but time will tell I guess.

8. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

LOL. The geekbench score will always slightly change or vary differently especially depending on how many apps your running in the background.

9. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

10. trancepriest macrumors 6502

trancepriest

HaHa... thank you for your profound words of wisdom. I ran Geekbench about a hundred of times on 10.5.6 and only got 17767 once... average score was around 17711. Now I'm consistently getting above 17800. Also notice the increase fps in Color and Redcine. 10.5.7 is a clear speed improvement on my Nehalem Mac pro.

I can't speak for your Mac Mini but anyone on a real computer should notice some improvements.

Of course it does.

11. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

You're something special. My GeekBench and the scores of others can vary up to 1000 points on the same day. I have it recorded too. :p And it varies around 5000 points on identically configured but different machines.

12. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

wwwaaaiiit.... you mean it can't test your system resources if iTunes, Safari, Photoshop, iChat Video Chat, and Garageband are open?????

13. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

It can, yes. But I get radical differences from boot to boot with no other applications running at all. I sometimes get better scores when other applications (like you named) are running at the same time. The software is just whack!

14. trancepriest macrumors 6502

trancepriest

Perhaps you are just whack or your computer is whack!!! Are you using it on a G4 or G3? Well that would explain it buddy. ;) A good point to remember is that scores of fools don't make anybody the wiser.

15. nanofrog macrumors G4

Not necessarily. I get variances myself.

For example, just testing HDD throughput. My results are fairly consistent with my RAID arrays, as the drives always park the heads on shut down (enterprise models). Consumer drives OTOH, may not, depending on the firmware. (Note, testing is done from a separate boot drive).

Drives can have a considerable effect on the overall system performance. Just look at scores of similar, (preferably identical) systems, save one is a single disk, and another uses say a 4 disk stripe.

Memory and CPU scores should be very similar, but data intensive applications will vary by a notable margin. Unfortunately, there are usually some differences that may not be apparent, such as the number of loaded applications.

16. trancepriest macrumors 6502

trancepriest

So your point is that you're using Geekbench to benchmark your HD's?

17. nanofrog macrumors G4

My point is, I can get different scores off the different drives/sets on the same machine. Especially if I boot from an array vs. a single disk.

I see similar results under other test suites as well.

18. trancepriest macrumors 6502

trancepriest

Wake me up when you start having a relevant discourse.

19. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I've ran Geekbench many times last year when I had the 2.8GHz 8 core mac pro + 16GB of RAM with a 150GB raptor drive as the bootdrive.

Anyway I always get a couple of hundred point differences. But I found out the best way to run the geekbench is reboot your mac pro and do not open any apps except the geekbench app and just run. That will get you the most accurate average.

I dont even bother to run geekbench on my mac mini. But 89 point difference is nothing to gawk at.

I decided that I dont need a mac pro so I kept my $$ and bought gold bullion coins instead. So that I can hedge against the hyperinflation that is going to come to the united states probably in the next 1-3 years. I recommend you guys to do the same as well! USD WILL crash and no where else it can go but down.

Especially with other countries dumping the dollar everyday and while were printing billions of dollars a month. The USD will disappear overnight one day in the next few years.

20. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Well, besides you being rude and condescending this only shows that you're a special case.

I've ran it 100 or so times on a Mac Pro 2.66 octad and a few score times on a Mac Pro 2.66 quad. My scores on the octad vary around 1,000 points from the low seven thousands to the high eight thousands. Interestingly XBench has never varied more than about 5 points except with an OS Update. It looks like you're in love with GeekBenck and I'm sorry about that. Most people I've talked to whom have looked into it, have come to the same conclusion: GeekBench itself is just very very poor as a benchmarking tool. You don't need to take that personally tho - it's just software.

21. nanofrog macrumors G4

This is my conclusion as well. But I still run it on occasion, along with others, such as Sisandra and Everest. Synthetic models aren't good for real world performance though, and the results shouldn't be taken too seriously in that respect. It does give you a good idea of what software or hardware changes on the same system can do however, so it's still useful. :) It's proven that to me at any rate. :D :p

22. trancepriest macrumors 6502

trancepriest

Well now thank you for testifying your experiences... please feel free to understand that your experiences are not universal or even held in any regards. Nor is any of your statements pertinent to the question the OP was asking. Which was:

Now let me restate again that in the case of my Mac pro Nehalem it improved the average Geekbench score and also my fps with RED footage in Color and RedCine. Yes... 10.5.7 is a major improvement on my system. Please feel free to disagree that it is an improvement on my system. :)

23. fatespawn macrumors member

fatespawn

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Still having Bluetooth issues with my 2009 quad.

24. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

....are these bluetooth issues affecting the iMac's in 10.5.7?

25. Sandreckoner thread starter macrumors newbie

Little update

Thanks for all the replies so far. I appreciate the help.

Reviewing your replies, it seems like the evidence is that 10.5.7 helps with the wake from sleep video problem and may give some improvements in speed but doesn't help with the bluetooth problem.

I did some looking online to see whether the video drivers in 10.5.7 are new, and I just couldn't find anything. One thing that did seem to come up in my searches is that there is a longer history of Mac Pros having bluetooth problems.

Since posting this thread I ordered my Mac Pro. As a result of the thread, I went with wired rather than wireless keyboard and mouse. I probably will update to 10.5.7 when the computer arrives. Mac Pro stats, if Apple ships what I asked for: Octad 2.93 Nehalem, 12 GB RAM, ATI 4870, 2x1TB HDDs. No RAID. If that NVIDIA 285 GTX card comes out I'll probably get it, though I'm in no rush.

I'd be happy to hear of any further experiences, positive or negative, with 10.5.7 now that it has been out for a little while.