Does 10.9 give independent 'display sleep' for multiple monitors?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by anotherkenny, Aug 4, 2013.

1. anotherkenny macrumors newbie

Summary question: I want to know whether Mavericks has introduced the ability to sleep one display while having another active.

My 2011 mac mini is attached to a desk monitor as well as to my tv and stereo. I am considering purchasing a new receiver to pass audio in HDMI to enjoy higher bitstream audio codecs—such as DTS-HD—beyond toslink's capacity. Yet my understanding is that HDMI audio is cut with 'display sleep.' This is problematic because I often listen to music with the screens off and love my 'sleep display' hot corner.
    I know toslink is high bandwidth. I would also like to have the audio go through HDMI to negate audio sync issues with two longer cables.

Can one display (in this case, a receiver) be set to always have a signal, and have 'display sleep' only affect the desk monitor? Does the program 'switchresx' provide this capability? Can I go ahead and get a newer receiver assured that Mavericks' multiple display support includes an independent 'display sleep' function?

Thank you, anyone who has a crystal ball.

2. dontpannic macrumors 6502

dontpannic

With thunderbolt to HDMI cables I'm sure you can set just the audio to route through HDMI. In any case, the display needn't be on as the receiver is dealing with the audio and video pass through.

3. anotherkenny thread starter macrumors newbie

Upon further research, OS X currently doesn't support DTS-MA or Dolby True-HD at all.
    Could someone please comment to whether 10.9 changes that?
    Yes, the idea was to use HDMI as the soundcard's output, but with no Apple software support for HD audio (apparently Macs can output the codec in parallels) HDMI's higher bandwidth loses much its value in this operation. Whether the television is powered on aside, I believe that sleeping an HDMI output within OS X also stops audio passage; someone could correct me if I am wrong.

I still wonder whether sleep display can act on specific screens in Mavericks; not having to physically turn off the displays would be very welcome. Anyone?

4. anotherkenny thread starter macrumors newbie

Another try...

I would very much appreciate the help.

Could a developer with Mavericks please try to turn off the signal to one monitor while having the other continue to display?

As I use my mac mini as a htcp, this 'specific display sleep' feature would be very useful to me. Whether multiple display support in 10.9 has this functionality changes whether I will get an hdmi receiver, so thank you very much in aiding my current decision.

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

This works and it doesn't "shift" the off monitor's content. I have switch off one monitor while watching a movie on the other. When I switch on the monitor all content is the same as when I switched it off.

I don't see any way to setup sleep independently for each (or independent screen saver).

6. rayhigh macrumors member

It would be a great feature, but I'm not certain there is an easy way to implement it.