Does 13rMBP 2013 GPU have any lag?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Black.Infinity, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Black.Infinity macrumors 6502

Black.Infinity

Hello everyone :)

I just sold my Early 2011 MBP 15" and I want to buy a 13" retina MBP, Since I did not really use the big features of the 15" MBP such as Quad core cpu and discreet GPU. I don’t feel the need to waste money on something that I would not use but I really enjoyed of 15" of high-resolution anti-glare display.

I am a student and use my laptop for school work and most basic stuff, but I tend to have a lot of programs open at once so I will bump the retina ram to 16GB.

I guess I will get used to 13" screen and based on people’s reviews I think I am going to love the retina display.

Neither I game, nor use any GPU intensive program. I know Iris is an improvement to last year model but I red some negative reviews complaining of lags. So I'm still concerned about Iris Graphics that whether it is capable of handling the retina resolution without any lag which would occur during scrolling. I have read on some reviews that if I increase the resolution to 1440 by 900 I may see some lag.

Thanks for reading my post:)

2. Alphabetize macrumors 6502

Alphabetize

I tested some in-store retina MacBook Pros several times and there definitely was some choppiness on all models, 13-inch and 15-inch.

The choppiness was very pronounced in gesture animations, like the Mission Control gesture. It got progressively more choppy the more windows I had open, and there weren't that many open. But other than the gesture animations, the machines preformed pretty smoothly. 4K video played smoothly for the most part, with an occasional hiccup, but not too bad. I do think the MacBook Air performed much more smoothly, especially when setting them side-by-side with the retina Pros.

If you have an Apple Store nearby, you should really test them out in person to see for yourself! Some Best Buys also have some MacBooks on display too you can test.

3. AnorexicPig macrumors 6502

AnorexicPig

I recently upgraded to a 13" rMBP, and with 8GB of RAM and a tons of programs open, I never notice any lag, and I keep the resolution at 1440x900 (2880x1800) .

The laptop feels more smoother and snappier than my 2012 MBA.